IB Diploma Program Course Options
Diploma Program Pathway – Choosing one path (row) from each of the six groups will satisfy the IB Diploma requirements as long as the student has the ability to complete three or four HL examinations (see the far right column). All rising juniors at Coppell High School may join the IB Diploma Program as long as they are willing and able to undertake meeting its requirements. Rising seniors may join the IB Diploma Program only if they are transferring to CHS from a Diploma Program at another IB World School.
Course Certificate Pathway -- Course Certificate option candidates may choose between 1 and 4 paths (rows) from any of the six subject groups. Course Certificate option candidates may not earn the IB Diploma. All rising juniors at Coppell High School may choose the Course Certificate option as long as they are willing and able to meet its requirements. Rising freshman and sophomore students may not take IB courses using the Course Certificate option. Rising seniors may only take IB courses using the Course Certificate option when it is to: (a) complete the second year of courses begun in the junior year; (b) complete a one-year course sequence for Economics, Environmental Systems & Societies, Physics, or Math Applications SL; or (c) continue courses begun in a Diploma Program at another IB World School after transferring to CHS. Course Certificate candidates are not requirerd to take the Theory of Knowledge course sequence as one of their selections, but if they do they must pair at least one other IB course with it.
Second if Required
Examination Levels Offered
1. English: Language & Literature
IB English 3
IB English 4
2. Language Acquisition
IB Spanish or French 4
IB Spanish or French 5
HL or SL
IB Spanish or French ab initio 1
IB Spanish or French ab initio 2
3. Individuals & Societies – completion of IB History 1 and 2 includes and 0.5 government credit++
IB History of the Americas 1
IB History of the Americas 2++
# IB Economics 2
SL or HL
4. The Sciences
IB Biology 1
IB Biology 2
HL or SL
IB Chemistry 1
IB Chemistry 2
HL or SL
1** IB Physics SL
IB Environmental Systems and Societies
IB Math Analysis SL 1
IB Math Analysis SL 2
HL or SL
2 IB Math Analysis SL 1 IB Math Analysis SL 2SL
IB Math Applications SL
6. The Arts or Group 6 Option
IB Visual Arts 1
IB Visual Arts 2
HL or SL
1 or 2 A second course from group 2, 3 or 4 (e.g. take History AND Economics or take Spanish AND French or take Biology AND Environmental Systems & Societies) A second course from group 2, 3 or 4 (e.g. take History AND Economics or take Spanish AND French or take Biology AND Environmental Systems & Societies) HL or SL
Theory of Knowledge
.5/.5 IB Theory of Knowledge 1 IB Theory of Knowledge 2
- The availability of all courses is subject to student demand and staffing capacity. IB Diploma candidates will receive priority consideration over Course Certificate candidates if conflicts over limited seating in a course arise.
- Students registering for IB courses that are two year sequences (which are all but IB Physics, IB Environmental Systems, IB Math Applications SL, and the one-year option for IB Economics) are committing to taking both years of the course whether they are pursuing the Diploma or Course Certificate pathway. Students who wish to take one year of an IB course and opt out of the second year will be scheduled using the CHS "level-down" procedure. All assigned IB fees apply regardless of completion of the full course sequence.
- Students wishing to take an “ab initio” language may not have had any previous course experience with the language or be a native speaker of the language. Students who have had one year of prior course experience, or who have had one or more courses with a year in between the last instruction, or who have had no prior course experience but are native speakers should choose the ab initio course in the alternate language.
- Students wishing to take an HL/SL-level Language Acquisition course must have had at least two years of prior coursework in that language, and should not be native speakers of that language. Students who have not had at least two years of prior coursework or who are native speakers of one language should register for the ab initio course in the alternate language. Students who have completed Spanish I in 8th Grade and Spanish II in 9th Grade, but have not taken Spanish III in 10th Grade are strongly recommended to register for IB French ab initio I and not IB Spanish IV.
- Successful completion of the senior year of History of the Americas will earn the American Government credit required for the Texas high school diploma. ++
- Prerequisites: Completion of Algebra II is required for registration in IB Math Applications SL, IB Math Analysis SL I, and IB Physics. Completion of at least two high school courses in the desired language are required for registration in the Level 4 courses in Spanish and French. If the learner completed Spanish 1 and 2 in 8th & 9th Grade, it is very strongly recommended that they be enrolled in a Spanish 3 course in 10th Grade before taking IB Spanish 4. Completion of an earlier biology or chemistry course are strongly recommended for registration in IB Biology and IB Chemistry. Completion of an earlier high school studio art credit is required for registration in IB Visual Arts I. Completion of Pre-Calculus or better is a firm prerequisite for IB Math Analysis HL 1. Successful completion of the IB Year I course is required for registration in its succeeding IB Year II course.
* IB English courses at Coppell High School follow the Language A: Language & Literature curriculum from the IBO.* * one-year courses may be taken in either the junior or the senior year.# Candidates may take IB Economics for either one or two years. Candidates who choose to take both years have the option to take the Economics HL exam.
++ American Government credit for the Texas state transcript will be awarded pass/fail