Middle School Math CBE For Acceleration
Math Acceleration testing is for learners entering or in middle school who wish to accelerate through a math course. Most learners who take a math Credit by Exam have a goal to take Algebra I in middle school for high school credit.
Currently, a learner beginning 6th grade in 2017-2018 may take the following course path in middle school without any Credit by Exam testing and still obtain high school credit for Algebra I while attending middle school:
By following the course path indicated above, your child may obtain high school credit for Algebra I while still in middle school. No Credit by Exam needs to be taken.
- Student takes Honors Accelerated 6/7 or GT Math 6/7 in 6th grade.
- Student takes Pre Algebra or GT Pre Algebra in 7th grade.
- Student takes Honors Algebra I or GT Algebra I in 8th grade.
Regardless of the testing date for a CBE for acceleration, placement in a new course will only take place at the beginning of a school year, or the beginning of a semester for a semester course.Although there is no study guide, parents/learners may access the Texas Education Agency's website to view the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS) covered in the exams for the corresponding grade levels.
- For current 5th graders desiring to enroll in Honors Math 7 during their 6th grade school year, the learner must take the 6th grade math CBE and achieve a passing rate of 80% or higher.
- For current 5th graders desiring to enroll in Pre Algebra during their 6th grade school year, two Credit by Exam assessments must be taken. The learner must first take and achieve the passing score of at least 80% on the 6th grade math CBE. If the learner achieves the passing score, then the learner must take and achieve the passing score of at least 80% on the 7th grade math CBE. If both the 6th and 7th grade math CBEs are passed with a score of at least 80%, then the learner will be enrolled in Pre Algebra for their 6th grade school year. Please note, for 2017-2018, the Pre Algebra course will not be an accelerated course.
- For current 6th graders desiring to enroll in Algebra I during their 7th grade school year, the learner must first take the 7th grade math CBE and achieve the passing rate of 80% or higher. If the passing rate is achieved, then the learner must take the 8th grade math CBE. If the 8th grade math CBE is taken and passed with a score of at least 80%, then the learner may be enrolled in Algebra I for their 7th grade year.
- For 7th graders desiring to enroll in Algebra I during their 8th grade year, the 8th grade math CBE must be taken and passed with a score of at least 80% or higher.
- For the portion of an exam covering the 8th grade Math TEKS, the learner will be allowed to use a graphing calculator.
Please see the testing schedule for registration deadlines and testing dates. On the right, there is a link for the current year's district assessment calendar.
PLEASE NOTE: Credit by Exam assessments given during the school year will take place after school from 4:45 PM-7:45 PM. If taking two exams, the learner must be present two evenings. If taking one exam, the learner must be present on the first night of testing during the testing dates. Please see the district testing calendar for testing dates.This document must be read by the parent prior to signing the CBE registration form.