Spelling Bee Competitions
The Coppell ISD District Spelling Bee Competition is open to all 5th – 8th grade student within the Coppell ISD boundaries. One winner from each elementary school fifth grade, and the top three (3) students from each middle school can participate in the Coppell ISD District Spelling Bee Competition.
Campus Spelling Bee Competition - December (check the campus website or contact the campus for date, time and location)
District Spelling Bee Competition - TBA
To qualify to participate in the Coppell ISD District Spelling Bee Competition:
- Their school must be pre-registered according to the Scripps Howard National Spelling Bee guidelines, have competed in their campus spelldown, and meet the eligibility criteria of the Rules for Local Spelling Bees.
- The winner and 1st runner-up of the Coppell ISD District Spelling Bee Competition are eligible to participate in the Dallas County Spelling Bee. The 2nd runner-up can only participate in the Dallas County Spelling Bee if the winner or 1st runner-up are unable to attend.
Dallas County Spelling Bee:
Advancing contestants and their schools must be pre-registered according to the Scripps Howard National Spelling Bee guidelines. The contestants must compete in their district spelldown, competitions to be eligible to compete in the Dallas County Spelling Bee. For more information, please contact the Dallas County Spelling Bee Coordinator.
The Dallas County Spelling Bee, Dallas County Schools has been sending Spelling Bee winners to the Dallas Morning News Regional Spelling Bee since 1980. The winner of the Regional Spelling Bee is sent to the Scripps Howard National Bee Championship in Washington, D. C. with an all-expense paid trip for three (3).
At the Dallas County level, two spelling bees are held, one spelling bee for Public/TX Charter Schools and one for Private Schools. Dallas County is the only county in the region permitted to send two representatives to the Regional Bee - the winner from the Public/TX Charter Schools Bee and the winner from the Private Schools Bee.
Words used in the Dallas County Spelling Bee may be selected from the following:
- Complete set of study words for grades 1 - 8
- Spell It! Available at www.myspellit.com
- Merriam-Webster's A Dictionary of Prefixes, Suffixes, and Combining Forms
- Webster's Third New International Dictionary, Unabridged, Copyright 2002, Merriam Webster Inc., and its Addenda Section
National Spelling Bee Information: http://spellingbee.com/
Campus Resources for Students