Addressing The Board In Open Forum
Individuals wishing to address the Board of Trustees during Open Forum at a Regular Board Meeting or a Special Board Meeting must complete an information card and submit it to the Administrative Assistant to the Board. The information card MUST be filled out between 4 and 4:30 p.m. for meetings during the district’s closure. In accordance with the Texas Open Meetings Act, Board members are not allowed to answer questions or concerns posed by individuals during Open Forum.
NOTE: During the Regular Board Meeting, individuals can address the Board of Trustees on any topic during the open forum. During Special Board Meeting, individuals can address the Board of Trustees on agenda items only during the open forum.
Open Forum protocol:
- Questions, compliments, comments, and concerns must be addressed to the Board of Trustees as a whole.
- Up to three minutes will be allotted to each speaker.
- Timekeeping is the responsibility of the Board Secretary.
- Any group who wishes to speak should designate a spokesperson to address the Board. Delegations of more than five persons shall appoint one person to represent their views.
- Speakers are prohibited from identifying staff members by name or position and from using abusive or defamatory language or gestures.
- Expressions of hostility, including hand-held signs or placards, and behaviors such as booing, clapping, or cheering, are also prohibited by both speakers and audience members.
Addressing A Concern
If citizens wish to express themselves regarding a specific school, program, teacher, or child, dialogue should begin at the level closest to the concern. Concerns should be expressed as soon as possible to allow early resolution at the lowest possible administrative level. (Read more about complaints/grievances)