April 23, 2018 Meeting
Coppell ISD Board Briefs are highlights of select items from the CISD Board of Trustees meetings. Click here for a complete list of agenda items, presentations, meeting minutes and a video of the meeting.
Board Action and Consent Items Highlights
- The Board approved applications for attendance waivers, from the Texas Education Agency, due to flu for Cottonwood Creek Elementary and CMS East to minimize loss of state funding due to absences of more than 10%, in accordance with TEA requirements.
- Trustees approved Superintendent Brad Hunt and/or Associate Superintendent Sid Grant to pursue negotiations with the Dallas County Sheriff’s Department for two School Resource Sheriff’s deputies to be housed at the new CMSWest and Richard J. Lee Elementary for the 2018-19 school year.
In addition, the Board approved the Consent items including the minutes of the March regular meeting and special meeting on April 9, 2018, Monthly Budget Amendments for 2017-18, the March 2018 Financial Report, a Resolution adding the Executive Director of Finance as a District Authorized Representative for TexPool Investment Pool and Lone Star Investment Pool.
District Highlights & Awards
Several recent CISD achievements were highlighted at the meeting, including:
- Mockingbird Destination Imagination Team advances to Global Tournament
- CISD Students and Staff "Going Green" (Sustainability) for Earth Month
- Global Culture Nights at CISD Schools
- Coppell High School Teacher, Cathy Douglas, receives Regional Science Teacher Award
- Kingwood High School Student Council thanks CHS for Harvey Relief Funds
During the Awards portion of the meeting:
- KCBY named National Broadcast Excellence Winner
- Sidekick receives National Scholastic Press Association's Online Pacemaker Award
- Austin and Pinkerton Students win Awards in 2018 NASA Langley Student Art Contest
- Coppell Middle School East Students place 1st at State Science Fair
- Coppell High School Debate Students Lucy Kim and Shreyas Rajagopal placed 2nd in State Tournament
Aramark Services presented a $5000 check to the Education Foundation during Open Forum.
Discussion and Report Items
Bond Construction Update
Louis Macias, Executive Director of Facilities and Special Projects, updated the Board on ongoing bond construction projects, including the new CMS West, Coppell High School 9th Grade Campus, District-wide bathroom renovations, and updates on roof repairs throughout the district.
2015-2016 Disbursement Review
Kelly Penny, Chief Financial Officer, and Diana Sircar, Executive Director of Finance, reported that an independent company reviewed 10,000 transactions of over $20 million in disbursements and recovered $3,242.60 from three transactions which translates to an accuracy rate of 99.98% for the CISD Business Office.
Trustees Discussion and Report Items
Trustees gave a legislative update, introduction of new members selected to serve on the Bond Oversight Committee, and report from the North Texas Area Association of School Boards (NTAASB).
2017 - 2018 Board of Trustees
Tracy Fisher Judy Barbo Leigh Walker Susie Kemp Anthony Hill Thom Hulme David Caviness
(click on picture to email Board Member)