June 25, 2018 Meeting
Coppell ISD Board Briefs are highlights of select items from the CISD Board of Trustees meetings. Click here for a complete list of agenda items, presentations, meeting minutes and a video of the meeting.
Board Action and Consent Items Highlights
- As part of Coppell ISD’s ongoing Strategic Design efforts, the Board discussed and approved the Coppell ISD Core Values, which are centered around the themes of engagement, great teaching, redefining success and relationships. For the full value statements, visit www.coppellisd.com/strategicdesign.
- Trustees approved a Resolution for the 2018-2019 Employee Compensation Plan, which includes a 3 % raise of mid/control point for employees, except for teachers, librarians and nurses, who will receive an $1,750 increase.
- The Board agreed to appoint Superintendent Brad Hunt, or his designee, to negotiate and execute a License Agreement with City of Coppell expanding a trail from Andy Brown Park West to Coppell High School at no cost to CISD.
- Trustees discussed and approved shifting a portion of Bond Project #11 dollars (Surveillance Cameras for Special Education Classrooms) to a new Bond Project #65 (Safety and Security Solutions).
- The Board adopted a Resolution authorizing the Board President, Secretary, and Superintendent of Coppell ISD to execute any documents necessary to accomplish the purpose of reducing the wealth of Coppell ISD by purchasing attendance credits from the state under Chapter 41, Subchapter D, of the Texas Education Code for the 2018-2019 school year.
- Trustees agreed to grant utility easements for the new elementary school site in Valley Ranch.
- The Board approved a Memorandum of Understanding between CISD and the Coppell Education Foundation and a Memorandum of Understanding regarding the Dallas County Juvenile Justice Alternative Education Program.
- Trustees adopted the CISD 2018-2019 Student Code of Conduct.
- The Board approved the purchase of an Istation license and authorized the purchase of hardware/software to upgrade the CISD phone system.
- Trustees elected Board members Manish Sethi and Nichole Bentley to serve as CISD’s official voting delegate and alternate, respectively, to the 2018 TASB Delegate Assembly.
- The Board also approved the Monthly Budget Amendments for 2017-2018 , the May 2018 Financial Report and the Quarterly Investment Report for the period ending May 31, 2018.
- Trustees decided to postpone approval of a construction manager audit for the new Coppell Middle School West to the July 23rd Board of Trustees meeting.
District Highlights & Awards
Several recent CISD achievements were highlighted at the meeting, including:
- Coppell High School Student Tanya Raghu named a 2018 "20 Under 20" by the World Affairs Council of Dallas/Fort Worth;
- Wilson Elementary named a Great Expectations School
- Richard J. Lee Elementary designated as one of the 2018 Schools Transforming Learning by the Principals' Institute;
- INCubator @ CHS Final Pitch Night; and
- Coppell High School and New Tech High @ Coppell Graduation Highlights
During the Awards portion of the meeting, the following CISD staff were recognized for their years of service to the district:
- 30 Year Service Award - Louis Macias, Executive Director of Facilities and Special Projects;
- 35 Year Service Award - Dr. Linda Cook, Director of Science; and
- 35 Year Service Award - Jolynn Kelly, English and Special Education Teacher - Coppell High School.
Discussion and Report Items
Demographer’s Spring Report
Associate Superintendent Sid Grant and Bob Templeton with Templeton Demographics shared an update on the Spring 2018 district demographics.
Strategic Design Update
Tammy Taylor, Director of Community Engagement, and Blake Godkin with Tekzenit presented an update on CISD’s Strategic Design effort.
Bond Project Update
Sid Grant and Louis Macias, Executive Director of Facilities and Special Projects, updated the Board on ongoing bond construction projects, including the new CMS West, Coppell High School 9th Grade Campus, CISD’s 11th Elementary campus that will be located in Valley Ranch, CMS East Building and Athletic Field Renovations, and other Bond Projects in progress, including roof replacements and tile replacements at some of CISD campuses.
Board of Trustees Discussion and Report Items
Trustees also shared updates on the Legislature, the North Texas Area Association of School Boards and the Bond Oversight Committee.
2017 - 2018 Board of Trustees
Tracy Fisher David Caviness Leigh Walker Manish Sethi Anthony Hill Thom Hulme Nichole Bentley
(click on picture to email Board Member)