July 23, 2018 Meeting
Coppell ISD Board Briefs are highlights of select items from the CISD Board of Trustees meetings. Click here for a complete list of agenda items, presentations, meeting minutes and a video of the meeting.
Board Action and Consent Items Highlights
- The Board approved Shift Bond Dollars;
- Trustees authorized the purchase of hardware/software to upgrade security cameras districtwide;
- The Board granted its approval of a construction manager audit for the new Coppell Middle School West;
- Trustees discussed and approved amending the contract with Northstar Builders to include the Guaranteed Maximum Price for the Coppell Middle School East and Coppell Middle School North additions and renovations;
- The Board took action on updates to LOCAL policy needed to align policy with practice for the District of Innovation, as recommended by CISD’s TASB Policy Consultant, which included adding a policy on Innovation Districts and revising policies, as outlined here;
- Trustees approved an EIF Resolution to consider alternative graduation requirements for students who didn’t pass the TAKS test after taking it three times;
- The Board approved the Monthly Budget Amendments for 2017-2018 and the June 2018 Financial Report; and
- Trustees voted to defer its recommendations of candidates for the TASB Board of Directors to the August 27 Board meeting.
District Highlights & Awards
Several recent CISD achievements were highlighted at the meeting, including:
- The Coppell ISD Education Foundation Interactive Institute STEAM Camp/IBM GIGAWOT - STEM Camp for Middle School Girls;
- CISD Summer Professional Development & New Hires;
- CHS Solar Car Race Team competes in National Solar Car Challenge
- CMS North SRO Rachael Freeman receipt of the MADD Commitment to Youth Award and Coppell Police Department Officer of the Year Award; and
- CISD Gearing Up for Back to School.
During the Awards portion of the meeting,
- CISD Chief Financial Officer Kelly Penny was recognized for her receipt of the Association of School Business Officials (ASBO) 2018 Eagle Award; and
- Coppell Police Department Captain Eric Debus received the District Appreciation Award in recognition of his many years of service leading the School Resource Officer program at the district.
Discussion and Report Items
Bond Project Update
Louis Macias, Executive Director of Facilities and Special Projects, updated the Board on ongoing bond construction projects, including the new CMS West, Coppell High School 9th Grade Campus, CISD’s 11th Elementary campus that will be located in Valley Ranch, CMS East Building and Athletic Field Renovations, and other Bond Projects in progress, including CMS North Renovation, Ceramic Tile Replacements at Wilson Elementary, Mockingbird Elementary Cottonwood Creek Elementary, Austin Elementary, Lakeside Elementary; Painting in the Commons and Corridor at Coppell High School and roof replacements at the Service Center, Victory Place @ Coppell, Coppell High School and Denton Creek Elementary.
Chief Financial Officer Kelly Penny and Executive Director of Finance Diana Sircar presented an update on the 2018-2019 Budget, which included information on the upcoming Board Workshop August 6, as well as shared that Budget updates will be available at https://www.coppellisd.com/budget.
Assistant Superintendent for Curriculum & Instruction Dr. Angie Applegate, Executive Director of Technology Stephen McGilvray, Director of Instructional Technology Nancy Garvey and Coordinator of Professional Learning Brooke Sims gave an update on Technology in the district.
Director of Student and Staff Services Dr. Shane Conklin presented an update on Safety and Security in the district.
Change in School Hours for the 2018-2019 School Year
Associate Superintendent Sid Grant shared with the Board information on the change in school hours for the 2018-2019 school year, resulting in the high school start and end times being 10 minutes later to 8:50 a.m. to 4:10 p.m.
Board of Trustees Discussion and Report Items
Trustees also shared updates on the Summer Leadership Institute and the TASB Risk Management Fund. Board President Tracy Fisher said she would give a Legislative Update at the next Board meeting in August.
2018 - 2019 Board of Trustees
Tracy Fisher David Caviness Leigh Walker Manish Sethi Anthony Hill Thom Hulme Nichole Bentley