August 27, 2018 Meeting
Coppell ISD Board Briefs are highlights of select items from the CISD Board of Trustees meetings. Click here for a complete list of agenda items, presentations, meeting minutes and a video of the meeting.
Board Action and Consent Items Highlights
- The Board approved adoption of the 2018-2019 Maintenance and Operations and Debt Service Tax rates, which keeps the Maintenance and Operations Tax Rate the same at $1.17 and lowers the Debt Service Tax rate by $0.3077 to $0.2905;
- Trustees approved a Resolution approving and adopting the budgets for 2018- 2019 fiscal year; (General, Food Service, and Debt Service Funds) appropriating funds for each department with details on the budget available at www.coppellisd.com/budget;
- Trustees approved adoption of the 2018-2019 District Improvement Plan (Click here for a screencast video describing the plan);
- The Board approved Resolutions for Credit-by-Examination Audit Process and Examination for Acceleration to Earn Credit;
- Trustees approved the Texas Association of School Boards (TASB) Policy Update 111, affecting (LOCAL) policies as outlined here;
- The Board approved the 2017-2018 Final Budget Amendments and the July 2018 Financial Report; and
- Trustees decided not to endorse any candidates for the TASB Board of Directors
District Highlights & Awards
Several recent CISD achievements were highlighted at the meeting, including:
- Back-to-School Highlights;
- CMS East 6th Grader Isabella "Issi" Neufeld is competing on Food Network's "Kids Baking Championship;"
- Child Nutrition received a $50,000 Texas Department of Agriculture Grant;
- CISD Community Tailgate - September 14th;
- CISD received an "A" and "100" from School Financial Integrity Rating System of Texas (FIRST); and
- Coppell Middle School North was designated a "Model Professional Learning Community School."
During the Awards portion of the meeting:
- The Coppell High School Coppell Solar Team was recognized for placing 2nd in "Electric Solar" Division of the National Solar Car Challenge;
- Coppell Middle School West was honored for receiving the Texas Association of School Resource Officers (TASRO) Administrator Team of the Year Award; and
- Trustee Thom Hulme (Place 4) was recognized for his completion of the Leadership TASB (Texas Association of School Boards) Program and earning his Master Trustee Designation.
Superintendent Discussion and Report Items
Children's Internet Protection Act (CIPA) and Cyberbullying Awareness
Executive Director of Technology Stephen McGilvray shared a Board Report on the Children Internet Protection Act and Cyberbullying Awareness.
Purchasing Cooperative Fees paid by Coppell ISD
Director of Purchasing Justin Hill presented an Informational Report on Purchasing Cooperative Fees Paid by Coppell ISD.
Bond Projects Update
Executive Director of Facilities and Special Projects Louis Macias presented an update [link to presentation] on ongoing bond construction projects, including CISD’s 11th elementary campus that will be located in Valley Ranch, CMS East Athletic Field lighting and CMS East building renovations. CMS West Principal Dr. Emily Froese and CHS9 Principal Cody Koontz each spoke about the opening of their respective campuses and the official opening celebrations, which will be September 19, 2018, for CMS West and October 3, 2018, for CHS9.
Board of Trustees Discussion and Report Items
Trustees also shared a Legislative Update, information on the City of Coppell's Vision 2040 process and gave updates on the CISD July Safety Security Meeting and North Texas Area Association of School Boards meeting.
2018 - 2019 Board of Trustees
Tracy Fisher David Caviness Leigh Walker Manish Sethi Anthony Hill Thom Hulme Nichole Bentley