September 24, 2018 Meeting
Coppell ISD Board Briefs are highlights of select items from the CISD Board of Trustees meetings. Click here for a complete list of agenda items, presentations, meeting minutes and a video of the meeting.
Board Action and Consent Items Highlights
- The Board held a public meeting to discuss the Coppell Independent School District's state financial accountability rating, FIRST;
- Trustees approved the Texas Education Agency "Request for Maximum Class Size Exception" as required by the Texas Education Code §25.112;
- Trustees approved adoption of the 2018-2019 Campus Improvement Plans;
- Austin Elementary
- Cottonwood Creek Elementary
- Denton Creek Elementary
- Lakeside Elementary
- Lee Elementary
- Mockingbird Elementary
- Pinkerton Elementary
- Wilson Elementary
- Valley Ranch Elementary
- Town Center Elementary
- Coppell Middle School East
- Coppell Middle School North
- Coppell Middle School West
- Coppell High School
- New Tech High @ Coppell
- Victory Place @ Coppell
- The Board approved a revision to Board Policy CDC (LOCAL): Other Revenues - Gifts and Solicitations;
- Trustees approved:
- A resolution regarding annual review of investment brokers pursuant to Chapter 2256 of the Texas Government Code of Investment of Public Funds, Section 2256.025,
- A resolution regarding annual review of Section 2256.008(a), Texas Government Code,
- A resolution approving independent sources of instruction for district investment officer training,
- A resolution regarding annual review of investment policies CDA (Legal) and CDA (Local) pursuant to Texas Government Code Chapter 2256, Section 2256.005(e), and
- Additional Instructional Materials Allotment funds;
- The Board approved the Budget Amendments for September 2018, the August 2018 Financial Report and the Investment Report for Period Ending August 31, 2018; and
- Board elected Thom Hulme to serve as the District's official voting delegate and Leigh Walker to serve as the alternate to the 2018 TASB Delegate Assembly.
District Highlights & Awards
Several recent CISD achievements were highlighted at the meeting, including:
- The 33 Coppell High School National Merit Semifinalists;
- Coppell Student Media National Recognition (Yearbook/Sidekick/KCBY);
- Suicide Prevention Month - Teen Screen Dates;
- Coppell ISD Commemorates First Responders Month; and
- The Coppell High School Homecoming Parade - September 26 / Game - September 28.
During the Awards portion of the meeting:
- Coppell Middle School West Band was recognized for receiving two Distinctions from the Foundation for Music Education:
- The CMS West Honor Winds was selected as National Winner in the Mark of Excellence/National Wind Band Honors Project, and
- The CMS West Symphonic Band received a National Citation of Excellence from the Foundation.
- Coppell High School Volleyball Coach Julie Price was recognized for winning her 500th Career Game.
Superintendent Discussion and Report Items
Director of Research, Assessment & Accountability Debbie Youngs presented the State accountability report for the District and each campus. Coordinator of Assessment and Accountability Susie Williams presented on the Spring 2018 STAAR results for Grades 3-8 and EOC/Accelerated Instruction.
School Security Audits as required by Senate Bill 11 and Texas Education Code 37.108
Associate Superintendent Sid Grant presented a report on School Security Audits as required by Senate Bill 11 and Texas Education Code 37.108.
Boundary Realignment Update
Associate Superintendent Sid Grant also presented an update on Boundary Realignment.
Naming of Elementary School 11
Assistant Superintendent for Administrative Services Kristen Streeter presented a report on the naming of the 11th elementary school currently under construction in Irving (Valley Ranch).
Board of Trustees Discussion and Report Items
Trustees also shared a Legislative Update, as well as reports on the Coppell ISD Education Foundation the Bond Oversight Committee and North Texas Area Association of School Boards.
2018 - 2019 Board of Trustees
Tracy Fisher David Caviness Leigh Walker Manish Sethi Anthony Hill Thom Hulme Nichole Bentley