Stay in the Know
Employee Newsletter - February 28, 2020
Congratulations Super Teachers
Congratulations to the following mid-year group of SuperTeachers who were named earlier this month, then celebrated during a special luncheon with Superintendent Dr. Brad Hunt. Kristin Zamarripa and Stepanie Deskin/Canyon Ranch, Stacey Harris/Cottonwood Creek, Claudia Barrera/Wilson, Sarah Grover/CMS East, Lucy Grimmett, William Harrington, and Gunjan Jan/CHS9, as well as Mark Granado and Kristin Petrunin/NTH@C.
Great job nominating super educators who design and demonstrate engaging and innovative lessons. Their curriculum implementation and assessments model of the Learning Framework is truly transforming instruction and learning in their classrooms.
Nominate now for the final round of SuperTeachers! Deadline is March 27. Click link for criteria and nomination form https://www.coppellisd.com/Page/9093.
Michelle Cotton has been a substitute teacher with CISD since 2013 and is a staple at Wilson Elementary where she subs on a consistent basis. She is reliable, trustworthy, and she loves “her” Wilson learners. Michelle works closely with teachers to ensure that the class keeps moving and that learning is always happening. She is enthusiastic, positive and kind to all children and both staff and learners alike, adore her. Michelle is very quick to respond to sub requests, and is always willing to work wherever she is needed – even on short notice. The District would like to recognize Michelle Cotton as its February Substitute of the Month. Thank you Michelle for all that you do!
Canyon Ranch Elementary Project
CRE 3rd graders recently received a surprise visit from reporter Wayne Carter of NBC Channel 5. On “tap” — a project led by Stephanie Deskin, DREAMS Lab Teacher, about controlling excess water in the floodplain through an infrastructure of canals and a large levee that comprises their neighborhood. The project partners CRE and the Irving Flood Control District 3 (IFCD3,) so students learn about weather, human modifications to the environment, erosion, engineering, and design to create their own flood control models to be reviewed and tested by leaders at the IFCD3. This episode of “Carter in the Classroom” will air in a couple of weeks. Stay tuned!
March is Texas History Month - During this month, we honor those Texans who helped shape the history of the State of Texas and recognize events throughout Texas history. Texas History Month shall be regularly observed by appropriate celebrations and activities in public schools to promote interest in and knowledge of Texas history. (Gov’t Code 662.102) Social Studies teachers are highly encouraged to explore the Texas History Month page in Schoology for resources on this topic.
CISD To Sponsor Dyslexia Therapist Training - CISD plans to sponsor four district educators to begin a two-year training program for those who aspire to become trained in Take Flight (a comprehensive intervention program for learners with dyslexia) and ultimately become a Certified Academic Language Therapist. Basic details include:
- A position as dyslexia teacher for the 2020-21 school year while completing year 1 of the training program.
- Intro summer training course and course requirements beginning July 2020.
- Therapists in training must be willing to make a full two-year commitment to the training program and reasonable assurance to remain in CISD as a dyslexia therapist after the training is complete.
- Therapists in training must desire to become a Certified Academic Language Therapist after completion of the two year course.
- The training is of no cost to the therapist in training. Trainees will need to attend training, seminars, etc. at a Frisco location and satisfactorily complete all training requirements while completing their clinical hours as a dyslexia teacher in CISD. Only educators willing to make the full commitment should consider applying for the opportunity.
This opportunity comes to CISD through a training partnership with Frisco ISD utilizing the "Qualified Instructors" in their district. Interested CISD educators should apply and may send a letter of interest as well. More details regarding interviews will be shared soon. The new positions will be posted momentarily and all questions or letters of interest may be shared directly with Debbie Gauntt, Director of Intervention Services.
- The 1095 form will be available by March 2, 2020. This form is NOT required to file your taxes, but is for your records only. If you have elected to receive electronic only, your 1095 will be in ESS.
- Employees who signed up for the new Health Savings Account for 2019-2020 plan year have received their 1099 by mail unless they opted for electronic communication. If you have opted for the electronic communication, you can find it on your portal @www.ffga.com (instructions).
Safety & Security Update
March Tip of the Month
The most visible tool we have to protect our schools are doors. They are everywhere – on the outside of our buildings at various external entrances, and all throughout a school building. While doors may have originally served as a way to allow people to come and go, or help cut down on distractions outside the classroom, doors now play a key role in helping to keep our schools safe and secure. Please do your due diligence to make sure that all exterior doors are always secured properly to prevent entry by visitors. All visitors to Coppell ISD campuses and support buildings should be entering through the front door, and signing in via Raptor. Please refrain from propping doors open with any device. Should you locate a door that has been propped, please remove the prop and advise your assigned SRO or Administrator.
Did You Know?
E-mail signature procedures have changed. Effective immediately, with new hires joining the district, current employees moving into new positions, and names and titles changing, here is the information to make changes to your email signature.
- The above email signature template with the logo, name, campus name and address, phone number, email and web address will load to your email once HR inputs your information into their database.
- If you would like to make changes to your name, title and phone extension (last four digits) or to add approved prefixes or suffixes (e.g. Dr., Ph.D.) to your name, submit your request at www.coppellisd.com/emailsignature.
NOTE: Employees no longer have access to edit their title and phone extension. For all changes they must submit a request.
- Title changes will be verified by Human Resources. Prefix and Suffix will also be reviewed for degree and certification by HR.
Please allow 24-48 hours for the changes to apply to your signature.
Great Employees Matter (GEM) Nominations Open
Great Employees Matter nominations are still being accepted for the Spring round (Deadline Friday, April 3). If you see a teacher, aide, nurse, administrative assistant, cafeteria, custodial or maintenance worker, or other employee who meets the criteria for recognition, consider nominating them. Please click this link to review qualifying criteria and to submit an online nomination https://www.coppellisd.com/Page/581.
CISD welcomes the following recent new hires to the district:
- Kristi Howard — Third Grade Teacher - Lee
- Ramya Marisetti — Structured learning Aide - CMS West
- Deepa Devaiah — Practical Academics Aide - Lee
- Priya Bharath — Transitional Pathways Aide - CHS
- Gabriella Buccino — Pathways Aide - CHS
- Linda Martinez — Maintenance Secretary - Support Services
The latest district staff vacancies are listed at coppell.tedk12.com/hire/index.aspx.
Register now for this year’s Coppell ISD Education Foundation Run to Fund event set for Saturday, May 9, 2020, at Andy Brown East. Early registration is open until April 2. All CISD employees and students receive a discount. Click here to register.
Join the Coppell ISD Education Foundation at Anamia's every Monday! They graciously donate 5% of all sales on Mondays whether you dine-in of carry-out.
CEF T-Shirt Reminder
The next CEF t-shirt and jeans day will be Tuesday, Mar. 3. Tweet a picture of you and your friends with #coppellisdef to be eligible for free Sonic drinks!
Middle School Open Houses
Elementary School Open Houses
Transfer Window Opens
Regular Board Meeting
Mar. 28 OR April 18
Parent University - SEL Conference
8:00 a.m.-2:00 p.m.
SAVE THE DATE
CISD's 60th Birthday Bash
The Sound at Cypress Waters
Copyright © 2019, All rights reserved.