Stay in the Know!
CISD Internal Newsletter - January 17, 2020
Board Approves 2020-2021 Calendar
CISD Trustees approved the 2020-2021 academic calendar at its Jan. 13 meeting. (The 2020-2021 calendar will be duplicated for 2021-2022.) The approved 2020-2021 calendar is similar to the district’s calendar for the past two years:
- School year begins Wednesday, Aug. 12, 2020
- Employees return for second Semester Tuesday, Jan. 5, 2021
- Second semester for students starts Wednesday, Jan. 6, 2021
- Spring Break will be the third week of March — Mar. 15-19, 2021 — aligns with neighboring school districts and the Dallas County Community College District (for our Dual Enrollment high school students).
- School ends before Memorial Day Wednesday, May 26, 2021.
Congratulations to December Sub of the Month
Susan Holscher is a retired former teacher with CISD who has been subbing with us since 2008. Her love for kids brought her back into the classroom as a substitute teacher. Susan is a staple at CHS and New Tech High School where she is highly requested on both campuses. If she has a free moment, she spends it offering to help out teachers and learners in any way she can. She goes out of her way to engage with the students on a one-on-one basis, and her passion for them is very apparent...in fact, Susan knows most of them by name. The Human Resources Department is honored to reward her dedication to CISD and its learners by recognizing her as December’s Sub of the Month.
Announcing FinPath Financial Literacy Program
We listened and voila! CISD is now offering free financial literacy to all employees through FinPath. Watch for more information about FinPath - coming directly from TCG Advisors to your district email account (It’s NOT spam!) - on Jan. 22, and 28.
Click Here to watch the video message from Superintendent Dr. Brad Hunt.
SuperTeacher Online Nominations Being Accepted
If you haven’t submitted a SuperTeacher nomination for Round 2, it’s time! The deadline is 12 a.m. (midnight), on Monday, Jan. 20. Unlike the GEM awards that celebrate all staff, the SuperTeacher accolades are reserved for exemplary educators - educators who design engaging and innovative learning experiences for their students and watch the fruits of their labor grow and succeed. Think of educators you know who support educational transformation by demonstrating cutting-edge teaching through connections to the Learning Environment, Learning Design, and/or Assessments. Selected nominees receive awards and acknowledgements, as well as a special lunch with Superintendent, Dr. Brad Hunt. Click this link for more information and complete your nomination form today! https://www.coppellisd.com/Page/581.
Pop-Up Party at Rodeo Goat
Mark Your Calendar for Thursday, Jan. 23
CISD continues to celebrate our 60th anniversary with Pop-Up Parties. Rodeo Goat in Cypress Waters is hosting our next Pop-Up party on Thursday, Jan. 23, from 6 to 7 p.m., and will be offering 50 percent off cheese fries. CISD will also have giveaways and games for children at this Pop-Up Party. We look forward to seeing you there! Reminder that CISD employees receive a 10 percent discount at Rodeo Goat as part of our district’s employee discount program. Visit https://www.coppellisd.com/Page/1390 for a list of current employee discounts.
CISD Distinguished Alumni Nomination Window Now Open
Last year, CISD launched a new recognition for Coppell ISD graduates, the Distinguished Alumni Award. We will honor individuals this year with the Distinguished Alumni Award at our upcoming Coppell ISD Education Foundation Banquet. Recognition as a Distinguished Alumni is limited to those individuals, living or deceased, who graduated from Coppell High School (including those from Victory Place @ Coppell) or New Tech High @ Coppell no fewer than five (5) years prior to the nomination (graduated in or prior to 2014) and who have made significant accomplishments in one or both of the following areas while maintaining high standards of personal integrity and character:
- An outstanding leader in his/her field
- Service to his/her community through local, state, national, or international organizations
The nomination window will close Feb. 21 and recipients will be notified in March. To nominate, visit https://forms.gle/mvGhnJxr1fiynTUv5.
- Monday, Jan. 20 is Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, a day in which we honor the civil rights leader and nonviolent activist. While Dr. King was born on Jan. 15, 1929 in Atlanta, the holiday is marked every year on the third Monday in January Martin Luther King, Jr., Day is a celebration of Dr. King’s immeasurable contribution to the United States and to humankind. Educators are highly encouraged to explore the Martin Luther King, Jr. page from CISD’s Recognition Days Resources in Schoology.
- Governor Abbott has designated the week of Jan. 27th - 31st as Holocaust Remembrance Week (SB 1828). The goal of this new legislation is to educate students about the Holocaust and inspire a sense of responsibility to recognize and uphold human value and to prevent future atrocities. Educators are highly encouraged to explore the Holocaust Remembrance Week page from our Recognition Days Resources in Schoology.
- Volunteers are needed to help out at the 2020 Region IX Academic Decathlon Regional Meet at Mesquite High School on Friday, Feb. 7. Our Coppell High School Academic Decathlon Team will be competing with 26 other teams from across the Metroplex. As a volunteer, you will be asked to fill one of three roles...(1) Speech Judge, (2) Speech Timer, or (3) Interview Judge. All volunteers will be trained on the day of the competition.
Region IX Academic Decathlon Meet
Date: Friday, Feb. 7
Location: Mesquite High School (300 East Davis St., Mesquite, TX 75149)
Time Commitment: 12:15 p.m. - 5:30 p.m.
Visit http://bit.ly/ACDEC2020 to sign up!
Health & Wellness Updates
Living Well in Coppell is once again locally sponsoring the 2020 It's Time Texas Community Challenge. This statewide wellness initiative, which runs from Jan. 6 to Mar. 1, 2020, pits Texas cities of similar size against each other as they find fun, free, easy ways to demonstrate their commitment to healthy living. Coppell participated and won its size category for several years, but in 2019, the City of Harlingen outpaced Coppell to claim the top spot. If Coppell can once again clench first place (we’re in Second Place at the time of this email distribution), the city will not only be recognized both regionally and statewide as a healthy community, but they will also receive $1,800 to distribute to CISD schools for health and wellness programs. It's free and easy to participate in the Challenge:
- Visit www.ittcommunitychallenge.com and register as a Coppell ISD participant.
- Take a selfie doing something healthy or just use the Fitness Tracker to enter your exercise (same point value).
- Increased Water Consumption is an easy one to track and earn points, too!
- Upload your photos and activities to your account to earn points for the Coppell ISD and the community.
Take the Challenge to give your 2020 a healthy start!
Safety & Security
Inclement Weather Policy
Adverse weather conditions can impact the safety of students and staff. When that happens, CISD acts by assessing the conditions to determine whether a school closing is warranted. If CISD closes schools and its support buildings due to inclement weather, the decision to close will be made as early in the morning as possible, but no later than 5:30 a.m. If the District closes, the announcement will be made in the following ways: on the District and Campus websites in a yellow banner at the top of the Homepage; automated notification by phone and email alert (including CISD’s Mobile App); messages posted on CISD’s Facebook and Twitter accounts; on local radio and television stations; and CISD’s Voicemail system 214-496-8901. To ensure you receive the proper weather closing notifications, please check and update your contact information in Employee Self Service via https://coppellisd.munisselfservice.com. Click this link for the District’s complete school closing policy https://www.coppellisd.com/Page/1413.
Did You Know?
- Green is the way to go! Sign up by January 20 to receive this year’s W-2 and 1095 tax forms electronically. Even if you elect electronic delivery of your tax forms, the forms can be downloaded as a PDF or printed. Only 35 percent of CISD employees are currently receiving their tax forms electronically...let’s get GREENER. The Payroll and Benefits departments have until January 31 to provide 2019 W-2 Forms (Wage and Tax Statement) and until March 2 to provide 1095 Forms for 2019 (Medical Insurance Statement) to employees.
Unsure what your current elections are…sign in to ESS and take a quick look!
Login to Employee Self Service (ESS) (https://coppellisd.munisselfservice.com) using your employee ID number (username) and password (unique to ESS). Unsure of your ESS password, please select the “Forgot Password” link before you lock your account. The system will send a password reset email to your CISD email account.
Once you’re logged into ESS, select Personal Information…Tax Form Delivery tab. Click “Self Service Only” for W-2 and 1095 delivery methods. Your elections are automatically saved and will remain in effect until you change them. You may change your election at any time. Go Green!
- Bad Weather Days are Holidays. According to the District calendar, Monday, Feb. 17, and Friday, Apr. 10, are Bad Weather Days to be used as make-up days should CISD have to close for inclement weather. If these days aren’t used as Bad Weather Days, they are considered District holidays. Therefore, personal leave may not be used on the day before or after these two Bad Weather dates, as per the CISD Employee Handbook.
CISD welcomes the following recent new hire to the district:
- April Garcia, Nurse - Wilson;
- Brittany Saucedo, First Grade Teacher - Lee;
- Shasha Vargas, Third Grade Teacher - Lee; and
- Zach Glover, Staff Accountant - Service Center/Business
The latest district staff vacancies are listed at coppell.tedk12.com/hire/index.aspx.
- The next Coppell Education Foundation shirt and jeans day will be Tuesday, Jan. 21. Remember to tweet a picture of you and your colleagues with #coppellisdef to be eligible for free Sonic drinks!
- Save the Date! Saturday, May 9 - CEF’s 8th Annual “Run to Fund” event.
MLK Day Holiday
Super Teacher Nominations Due
CEF T-Shirt Day
CISD 60th Birthday
National "GO RED" Day
Professional Development Day - No School for Students
Bad Weather Day - No School
Copyright © 2019, All rights reserved.