April 29, 2019 Meeting
Coppell ISD Board Briefs are highlights of select items from the CISD Board of Trustees meetings. Click here for a complete list of agenda items, presentations, meeting minutes and a video of the meeting.
Board Action and Consent Items Highlights
- The Board approved amending the agreement with Northstar Builders Group to include Guaranteed Maximum Price (GMP) for Coppell High School renovations;
- Trustees approved adoption of revisions to Policy EIC (Local): Academic Achievement - Class Ranking;
- The Board approved adoption of revisions to Policy DC (Local): Employment Practices;
- Trustees approved of Low Attendance Waivers to TEA due to flu;
- The Board approved a Resolution concerning Proposed Legislation on an Audit and Moratorium of STAAR;
- The Board approved Allotment and TEKS Certification, 2019-2020;
- Trustees approved the Instructional Materials Allotment (IMA) request;
- The Board approved an extension of current depository contract as allowed by Texas Education Code 45.205(b); and
- Trustees approved the Budget Amendments for April 2019 and the March 2019 Financial Report.
District Highlights & Awards
GEM Award Recognition
The Board recognized the recipients of CISD GEM Awards, which recognizes outstanding employees who serve the mission of the district in a manner that exceeds job and salary expectations. The awards honor those who go "above and beyond the call of duty" twice a year. The Spring 2019 GEM recipients are: Austin Elementary: Lauren Holcombe, Instructional Coach; Ashley Rhodes, a 5th Grade Math & Science Teacher; Ginny Kaur, Kindergarten Teacher; Cottonwood Creek Elementary: Malachi Ewbank, 5th Grade Science Teacher; CHS9: Jennifer Martin, Biology Teacher; Jessica Lynch, ESL Facilitator and Lucy Grimmett, Math Teacher; Coppell High School: Tracy Henson, English Teacher; Matt Bowden, Creative Writing Teacher; Andrea Voelker, Chinese Teacher; and Angela Barnes, Science Teacher; New Tech High @ Coppell’s Outdoor Club Sponsors: William Daughtrey, Science Facilitator; Cody Campbell, Science Facilitator; Laura Hynson, Special Education Facilitator and Nicole Smith, Social Studies Facilitator; and Kevin Green, Mechanic.
Several recent CISD achievements were highlighted at the meeting, including:
- Four CISD Staff Members named Apple Distinguished Educators;
- Our Story 2019 Spring/Summer Magazine;
- Coppell ISD Day at the Capitol April 11, 2019; and
- Ivy League College Acceptances from Coppell High School/New Tech High @ Coppell.
During the Awards portion of the meeting, Trustees recognized:
- TASB Student Video Contest Winner - Coppell Middle School North;
- Art Awards, including
- Youth Art Month (YAM) State Capitol Art Exhibition;
- Youth Art Month (YAM) State Flag Design Winner (High School) and Overall State Flag Design Winner; and Youth Art Month (YAM) State Flag Design Winner (Middle School);
- State Youth and Government Awards;
- CISD Distinguished Alumni Awards; and
- Elementary and Secondary District Teachers of the Year.
Superintendent Discussion and Report Items
Chief Financial Officer Diana Sircar and Director of Accounting Tilisa Stubbs shared a report on the CISD Disbursement Review.
Update on Weekend Lockdown of Field at CMS East
Executive Director of Facilities and Special Projects Louis Macias shared an update on the weekend lockdown of the Athletic Field at CMS East.
Long Range Technology Plan
Assistant Superintendent for Curriculum & Instruction Dr. Angie Applegate and Executive Director of Technology Stephen McGilvray shared an update on CISD’s Long Range Technology Plan.
Board of Trustees Discussion and Report Items
Board of Trustees President Tracy Fisher gave an update on Continuing Education Credit Report and a Legislative Update; Trustee Anthony Hill gave an update TEA School Board Advisory Council and School Health Advisory Council (SHAC); and Trustee Nichole Bentley gave an update on the National School Boards Association (NSBA) Annual Conference.
2018 - 2019 Board of Trustees
Tracy Fisher David Caviness Leigh Walker Manish Sethi Anthony Hill Thom Hulme Nichole Bentley