May 20, 2019 Meeting
Coppell ISD Board Briefs are highlights of select items from the CISD Board of Trustees meetings. Click here for a complete list of agenda items, presentations, meeting minutes and a video of the meeting.
Board Action and Consent Items Highlights
- Trustees elected Thom Hulme as President, David Caviness as Vice President and Nichole Bentley as Secretary effective through May 2020.
- The Board approved the purchase of a marching band tower for Coppell High School (2016 Bond - additional campus capital project request).
- Trustees approved the replacement of chalkboards and addition of dry erase marker boards (2016 Bond - additional campus capital project request).
- The Board approved adding projection screens (2016 Bond - additional campus capital project request).
- Trustees approved the Budget Amendments for May 2019 and the April 2019 Financial Report.
Newly Elected Board Members
Newly elected trustees Leigh Walker, Manish Sethi and Anthony Hill were presented Certificates of Election and took the Oath of Office. They will each serve a three year term on the CISD Board of Trustees.
District Highlights & Awards
Several recent CISD achievements were highlighted at the meeting, including:
- Guru Vandana at CMS West and Indian American Festival in Cypress Waters;
- Incubator Final Pitch Night; and
- Lakeside Elementary earns TEPSA Student Leadership Award.
During the Awards portion of the meeting, Trustees recognized:
- Debate wins State Championship;
- State Visual Arts Scholastic Event (VASE) Competition;
- UIL State Track and Field 800 Meter Event; and
- Top 10 Graduating Seniors - Coppell High School/New Tech High @ Coppell
Superintendent Discussion and Report Items
District Leadership Development Update
Brooke Sims, Coordinator of Professional Learning, shared an update on the district's development of leadership programs.
2019-2020 Budget Update
Chief Financial Officer Diana Sircar gave an update on the 2019-2020 budget process and timeline, the preliminary budget and the Legislative session.
Board of Trustees Discussion and Report Items
Board of Trustees President Tracy Fisher gave a Legislative Report, Vice President David Caviness shared an update on the Bond Oversight Committee, Trustee Thom Hulme gave an update on the District Education Improvement Council (DEIC) and Trustee Anthony Hill shared an update on the TASB Risk Management Fund Board Quarterly Meeting, TASB Members' Conference in Austin and the TEA Board of Trustees Advisory Council.
2018 - 2019 Board of Trustees
Tracy Fisher David Caviness Leigh Walker Manish Sethi Anthony Hill Thom Hulme Nichole Bentley