August 26, 2019 Meeting
Coppell ISD Board Briefs are highlights of select items from the CISD Board of Trustees meetings. Click here for a complete list of agenda items, presentations, meeting minutes and a video of the meeting.
Board Action and Consent Items Highlights
- The Board approved a Resolution adopting the budgets for 2019-2020 fiscal year; (General, Food Service, and Debt Service Funds) appropriating funds for each department, project, and account; and authorizing other matters related to the subject;
- Trustees also approved a Resolution to lower the district’s Maintenance and Operations Tax Rate from $1.17 to $1.0683, which is a reduction of $.1017, and to lower the district’s 2019-20 Interest and Sinking (Debt Service) Tax Rate from $.2905 to $0.2626, which is a reduction of $.0279. CISD’s tax rate for 2019-20 will be a total of $1.33 per $100 in assessed value, which is an overall tax rate reduction of $.1296 per $100 in assessed value.
- The Board approved the adoption of the 2019-2020 District Improvement Plan;
- Trustees approved nominating Trustee Tracy Fisher as the trustee and Trustee Nichole Bentley as the alternate to apply for a Texas Association of School Boards (TASB) Advocacy Institute stipend; and
- The Board also approved:
- The 2018-2019 final budget amendments;
- The Financial Report for July 31, 2019;
- The Superintendent as Purchasing Agent for the Coppell Independent School District, Authorized Representative for all Federal programs including E-Rate and Child Nutrition, and Designated Custodian for the general fund, building fund, child nutrition fund, bond fund, activity fund, all federal programs including E-Rate, all state programs, and all other school programs and activities not listed for the 2019-2020 school year; and
- The Purchasing Cooperative Fees paid by Coppell ISD.
District Highlights & Awards
Several recent CISD achievements were highlighted at the meeting, including:
- Middle School Students Attend STEAM Summer Camps;
- Summer Professional Development and New Hires;
- Back to School Engagement Activities;
- First Day of School Highlights - Enrollment Numbers; and
- Save the Dates: Chambers State of Education - Sept. 12 for Coppell, Sept. 19 for Irving/Las Colinas; Canyon Ranch Grand Opening - Sept. 18; and CISD Community Tailgate Oct. 4.
During the Awards portion of the meeting, Trustees recognized:
- CHS Debate Students Het Desai and Shreyas Rajagopal for finishing 13th at the National Speech & Debate Tournament and Natasha Banga for finishing 2nd at State UIL Tournament;
- The Coppell Solar Car Team for placing 2nd in the Nation; and
- Samira Khan and Cathy Douglas for being named Region 10 Teacher of the Year Finalists.
Superintendent Discussion and Report Items
Children's Internet Protection Act (CIPA) and Cyberbullying Awareness
Executive Director of Technology)Stephen McGilvray shared an update on the Children’s Internet Protection Act (CIPA) and Cyberbullying Awareness.
Bond Project Update
Associate Superintendent Sid Grand gave an update on 2016 Bond Projects, including Canyon Ranch Elementary, CMS East, Coppell High School and CMS North.
Board of Trustees Discussion and Report Items
Trustee Anthony HIll shared an update on the TASB Insurance Report and North Texas Area Association of School Boards (NTAASB.) Board President Thom Hulme gave an update on Leadership TASB (Texas Association of School Boards) and Trustee Tracy Fisher gave a Legislative Update.
2018 - 2019 Board of Trustees
Tracy Fisher David Caviness Leigh Walker Manish Sethi Anthony Hill Thom Hulme Nichole Bentley