Stay in the Know
Employee Newsletter - February 14, 2020
"GO RED" Heart Challenge
'National GO RED Day' was last Friday and CISD’s Month of Mondays in February (“GO RED” t-shirt and jeans days) serve as reminders to focus on heart health. Here are a few healthy heart tips for you to use and share. Remember to get your blood pressure checked regularly and click the following link for Life's Simple 7 and learn how to live your best life www.heart.org/en/healthy-living/healthy-lifestyle/my-life-check--lifes-simple-7.
- February 17th is Presidents’ Day. Presidents’ Day is observed on the third Monday in February. Traditionally celebrated on February 22nd — George Washington’s actual day of birth — the holiday became popularly known as Presidents’ Day after it was moved as part of 1971 Uniform Monday Holiday Act. Presidents’ Day is now popularly viewed as a day to celebrate all U.S. presidents, past and present.
- February 19th is the State of Texas Anniversary Remembrance Day. State of Texas Anniversary Remembrance Day, or STAR Day, honors Texas joining the United States and the day that James Pinckney Henderson became the first governor of the State of Texas in 1846. STAR Day shall be regularly observed by appropriate and patriotic programs in the public schools to properly commemorate the annexation of this state and to inspire a greater appreciation for the history of this state. (Gov’t Code 662.047) Educators are highly encouraged to explore the Presidents' Day page and the State of Texas Anniversary Remembrance Day page in Schoology for resources on these topics.
- The 1095 form will be available by March 2. This form is NOT required to file your taxes, but is for your records only.
- Employees who signed up for the new Health Savings Account for 2019-2020 plan year have received their 1099 by mail unless they opted for electronic communication. If you have opted for the electronic communication, you can find it on your portal @www.ffga.com (instructions).
Health & Wellness Updates
- Save the Date - Sat., Mar. 28, for the upcoming Parent University event, “Social Emotional Learning (SEL): Supporting the Whole Child.” The day will include a keynote address featuring Senior Labor Market Economist for the Texas State Technical College System Richard Froeschale. Froeschale will speak to “Preparing Learners for Their Future” citing labor statistics, market research, and career information for Coppell and North Texas. Parents will learn how to connect the passions of their children to their preparation for success.
Concurrent sessions will be given on a variety of topics including parenting strategies, the importance of emotional intelligence, finding/creating your own peace, nurturing the digital native and much more. This free event will be from 8 a.m. - 2 p.m. at CMS West. Those interested in attending are asked to RSVP their registration by Feb. 21 at go.coppellisd.com/ParentUse, as breakfast and lunch will be provided to participants at no cost.
- It's Time Texas Community Challenge - Living Well in Coppell is again locally sponsoring the 2019 It's Time Texas Community Challenge. This state wide wellness initiative, runs from Jan. 7 to Mar. 3, 2019, and challenges Texas cities of similar size to find fun and easy ways to demonstrate their commitment to healthy living. If Coppell can clench first place, the city will receive $1,800 to distribute to CISD schools for health and wellness programs. It's easy to participate in the Community Challenge:
1. Visit ittcommunitychallenge.com and register as a Coppell participant.
2. Take a selfie doing something healthy or track your fitness.
3. Upload your photos and activities to your account to earn points for the community.
Safety & Security
We are excited to be bringing you your very first in a series of Safety Tips to be offered in this internal e-newsletter of each month.
As a variety of spring events are being planned (Dances, Field Days, Field Trips, Concerts/ Productions, Family Nights, etc.), follow these steps to create an efficient check-in process, happier guests, and a safer place to make fun memories:
- Create and send out your google doc to pre-register for activities/events.
- “Batch printing” will help avoid a long check-in line for parents waiting to enter your campus on event day.
- End the RSVP date a few days before the actual event to allow yourself enough time to create the list and print your name tags.
- Once the google doc is created, send it to your parents.
- Create the visitor/guest list in Raptor (instructions).
- Remember: EVERY person who enters the campus must be run through Raptor for a basic sex offender screen. (Raptor accepts all state ID/driver licenses, passports and even counselor ID cards.)
- A VISITOR must be run through Raptor. (This ALWAYS includes a parent/guardian checking-out a student(s).) We are no longer able to accept parent/guardian information via word-of-mouth.
- A VOLUNTEER needs a background check through Coppell ISD. (VOLUNTEERS have contact with students — other than their own — over an extended period of time.)
Did You Know?
- CISD’s next Pop-up Party is coming up! Mark your calendar for Thursday, Feb. 27, from 6 - 7:00 p.m. at J.C’s. Burger Bar. Bring the whole family for games, food, and fun! J.C’s. is offering a Buy One Get One (“BOGO”) promotion of an item of ≤ value for free!
- 60th Birthday Bash plans are well underway and trust Dr. Hunt, you won’t want to miss the big event! CISD’s celebration of its 60th Birthday Year culminates with a fun-filled evening of food, fun and lots of free stuff. Meet us down at The Sound/ Cypress Waters on Thursday, Apr. 30, from 6 - 8 p.m.
CISD welcomes the following recent new hires to the district:
- Priyadarshini Bharath - Transitional Pathways Aide - CHS
- Gabriella Buccino - Pathways Aide - CHS
- Abu Conteh - CM/Inc/Res Aide - CMS North
- Wendy Brown - Early Childhood Aide - Austin
The latest district staff vacancies are listed at coppell.tedk12.com/hire/index.aspx.
The next CEF t-shirt and jeans day will be Tues., Feb. 18. Tweet a picture of you and your friends with #coppellisdef to be eligible for free Sonic drinks!
Bad Weather Day - No School
CEF T-shirt Day & Jeans Day
"Go Red" T-shirt & Jeans Day
JC's Burger Bar
SAVE THE DATE
8:00 a.m.-2:00 p.m.
SAVE THE DATE
CISD's 60th Birthday Bash
The Sound at Cypress Waters
Copyright © 2019, All rights reserved.