Credit By Examination (CBE) For Acceleration
Without Prior Instruction in the Course/Grade Level
Enrolled CISD learners may earn credit for a grade level or course by taking a CBE (EHDC Legal). This policy provides acceleration without prior instruction by grade level in grades K-5 or course credit at the secondary level (grades 6 through 12).
- CBE counts as a LEVEL 2 on grade level course with a MAXIMUM 5.0 GPA.
- CBE CANNOT be counted as either a Level 3 (i.e. Pre-AP, Dual Credit, etc.) or Level 4 (i.e. AP, IB, etc.).
- Your CBE score is PERMANENT and CANNOT be removed from your transcript.
- You CANNOT decide to take the course for a higher grade, if you score a passing score of 80% or higher on the CBE.
- If your child takes either the Algebra I, English I, English II, Biology, or U.S. History CBE for acceleration and achieves the passing score of 80% or higher, s/he WILL take the related STAAR EOC at the next testing opportunity unless your child applies for a substitute exam waiver. Please see the STAAR EOC Waiver Form on the district Assessment Overview page (Link: https://www.coppellisd.com/Page/518).
For more information refer to CBE FAQ on the right.
Other Important Notes Regarding CBE for Acceleration
- The purpose of CBEs for acceleration is to accelerate. If a learner takes a CBE to accelerate and passes with the required score, the score will be entered on the student’s transcript, and the learner will be accelerated.
- Regardless of the date a CBE for acceleration is taken, placement in a new course will take place at the beginning of a school year, or at the semester for a semester course.
- Acceleration testing is for Coppell ISD learners only. Learners not enrolled in the district prior to the registration deadline are not eligible for testing. If your child is not enrolled in Coppell ISD schools, please contact the school in which your child is currently enrolled for possible acceleration testing through their enrolled school.
Exam content is based on the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS). To view a list of available exams, please visit the University of Texas Education Center. To prepare for a Credit by Exam, please visit the University of Texas Credit by Exam Study Guide that corresponds to the CBE your child wishes to take. The study guide will provide any prerequisite reading which must be done prior to testing and note materials that are allowed for testing. While all testing materials are provided by the district during testing, it is important to visit the Texas Credit by Exam Study Guide site to know what materials will be available to your child during testing. Obtaining study materials and preparing for CBE testing is the sole responsibility of the parent and/or student.
New to CISD for Foreign Language Credit by Exam for Acceleration
Coppell ISD is now using the STAMP 4S and WorldSpeak Avant assessments as their vendor for foreign language Credit by Exam acceleration testing. Avant Credit by Exam testing provides Coppell ISD the opportunity to accelerate learners in more foreign languages. Both assessments are computer adaptive and assess the proficiency level of the learner in the tested language. Avant assessments allow the district to award up to four years of foreign language credit based on the proficiency demonstrated by the learner.
The following world languages are now available for Credit by Exam for acceleration:
STAMP 4S (Grades 7-12)
- Mandarin (Traditional and Simplified)
- Portuguese (Brazalian)
For more information about STAMP 4S and to view a practice test, please visit: STAMP 4S
WORLDSPEAK (Grades 7-12)
- Chin (Hakha)
- Filipino (Tagalog)
- Somali Maay Maay
- Somali Maxaa
For more information about WorldSpeak and to view a practice test, please visit: WorldSpeak
Credit By Exam For Credit Recovery