State Assessments for English Learners (ELs)
TELPAS (Texas English Language Proficiency Assessment System)
TELPAS assesses the English language proficiency of K-12 ELs in four language domains: listening, speaking, reading, and writing. English language proficiency assessments in grades K-12 are federally required to evaluate the progress that ELs make in becoming proficient in the use of academic English. The assessment components for grades K-1 and 2-12 differ in the following ways:
- Grades K-1: TELPAS includes holistically rated listening, speaking, reading, and writing assessments based on ongoing classroom observations and student interactions.
- Grades 2-12: TELPAS includes online reading, listening, and speaking tests and holistically rated student writing collections.
The TELPAS Report Card
The Texas Education Agency, TEA, publishes each child's TELPAS results on the state's portal at www.texasassessment.com. The TELPAS Report Card will include information regarding your child's listening, speaking, reading, and writing proficiency in English.
All TELPAS results will be available online for the parents. No paper reports will be sent home. To access your child’s TELPAS Report Card online, you need your child’s unique access code. The unique access code may be found in one of two ways:
- If you have a Student Report Card from a previous STAAR or TELPAS test taken by your child, their unique access code is located in either the pale green rectangle at the bottom of the report or at the bottom of the STAAR or TELPAS Report Card.
- Enter your child’s social security number or their state ID number in the state’s system.
Click on the appropriate link below to access user friendly directions to your child’s TELPAS Report Card.
- I have my student’s access code.
- I do not have my student’s access code, but I have either their social security number or their state ID number.
If you do not have your child's social security or state ID number, please contact the ESL Facilitator at your child's campus. If you would like a paper copy of your child’s results, please contact your child’s campus.
Parent FAQs for Parents - English (link to be added when published by TEA)
Parent FAQs for Parents - Spanish (link to be added when published by TEA)
TELPAS Parent Tips - English (link to be added when published by TEA)
TELPAS Parent Tips - Spanish (link to be added when published by TEA)