A Blended Learning Experience
Imagine more personalized learningLearn in a cool new digital spaceCreate connections between your core classes
What is iWest?iWest is an 7th and 8th grade blended learning program that was started in 2013-14. The iWest learners have four core educators who will be working with them throughout the entire year. This will allow for cross-curricular and flexible learning opportunities.All levels of learners are encouraged to participate and will be considered on an individual basis. If learners choose to participate in this program, it will be a one year commitment.
What is Blended Learning?Blended learning is a personalized education program in which a learner participates at least in part through educator guided instruction and partly through online discovery of content using a Learning Management System (Schoology and Google Classroom). iWest provides elements of student control over time, place, path or pace.
I Used to Think, But Now I Know:
How will iWest Blended Learning Benefit Learners?
- Provides personalized learning
- Places the focus on the learning of the student instead of the transfer of knowledge from the teacher to the student
- Develops future-ready skills needed for college and career readiness
- Offers a small learning community of learners with the same four educators allowing for more personal learning relationships
- Creates connections between the core classes allowing the educators to work together to enhance the learning experience
What Will A Schedule Look Like?A Learner's schedule will include 4 blended learning courses: Language Arts, US History, Science, Math 8 or Algebra I for example. The learners will still be able to choose elective courses.
What Blended Learning is Not...
- Replacing the educator with all online-curriculum
- A completely virtual experience
- Smaller class size
Are There Blended Learning Opportunities in Other CISD Schools?In 2013-14 Coppell High School offered 4 blended learning courses: Multimedia, Spanish III, Advanced Placement U.S. History, and AP Human Geography. These courses have been very successful. During the 2013-14 school year, the Educate Texas grant helped to fund the iWest program. In the 2014-15 school year, iWest grew to include learners who were on track to take Geometry (level 3 credit). Currently, iWest includes both 7th and 8th grade learners in all four core content areas.