• marijuana chart
    • How do I keep my child from using illegal substances?
    Research shows that students who are highly involved with the family, community, and/or school activities are less likely to use illegal substances.
    It is important for parents to know their student’s friends and the parents of those friends. Communication with the friends and families is very important. Know the location of your child.

    • What are the most commonly abused substances among teens?
    Alcohol: Most students get alcohol from the home. Alcoholic beverages should be kept in a safe place where your child and/or their friends do not have easy access.
    Prescription Medications: Most teens get prescription medications from home as well. Medications, both over the counter and prescription, should be kept in a safe place where your child and/or their friends do not have easy access. Dispose of unused medications safely and responsively through the National Take Back Drugs days.
    Marijuana: The best advice we have in this area is, again, know and communicate with their friends and the parents of their friends.

    • What are possible signs and symptoms of alcohol and/or drug use? (These signs may be indicative of other illnesses/concerns.)
    Physical Symptoms:
    Strong or unusual odor
    Strong scent attempting to cover an odor
    Red or watery eyes
    Staggering, clumsiness
    Falling asleep in class
    Lack of affect (appears spaced out or zoned out)
    Chronic or hacking cough
    Slurred speech
    Change in appearance (i.e. significant weight gain or loss)
    Forgetful, slowed reaction time, loses train of thought
    Unexplained lethargy and/or hyperactivity and agitation
    Behavioral Symptoms
    Changes in attendance/increased tardies/absences
    Drop in grades
    Drop in performance
    Resentment of authority, hostility towards staff members
    Changes in personality (mood and attitude)
    Legal problems (MIP, theft, vandalism)
    Known drug problems in friends
    Rage or aggression
    Reduced motivation and interest in activities
    Any references to drugs/alcohol in assignments or projects

    • What should I do if I suspect that my child is using illegal substances?
    Talk with your child. Let them know how much you love and care for them, but let them know you’re concerned about their health and safety. Tell them you suspect drug or alcohol use and ask them what they are using. If you feel that your child is in denial, follow your ‘gut’ feeling. You may choose to do a drug test. Most local pharmacies carry drug test kits. Contact your campus assistant principal, counselor or resource officer. Please keep in mind that this information will remain confidential.

    • How do I get help?
    Contact your school counselor. You may also choose to consult a health care professional.
  • Call 1-800-662-HELP (4357) at any time to find drug treatment centers near you. Or look them up online in the SAMHSA treatment finder. (SAMHSA is the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, part of the U.S. Government.)
  • asdfjklsjadfj