High quality science curriculum and instruction engages students by presenting them with a phenomenon or problem that needs explanation or solving. The educator creates an environment where students ask questions, openly discuss content with each other, observe using all 5 senses, use scientific tools, apply scientific processes, and generate data driven conclusions. Science students learn best by “doing” and educators support student experiences with concepts, historical context, and integration of current technology. Our students will be prepared to apply their knowledge and skills to make sense of complex situations.
The mission of the Coppell ISD science program is to prepare learners to be scientifically literate, socially responsible citizens in a world that is increasingly dependent upon a global citizenry. We will prepare our graduates to apply scientific knowledge and critical thinking skills to make informed global decisions and solve global problems.
- Ask questions, recognize and define problems, and propose solutions
- Safely and ethically collect, analyze, and evaluate appropriate data
- Utilize/create/analyze models to make predictions and understand the natural world
- Make valid claims and informed decisions based on scientific evidence
- Effectively communicate scientific principles and reasoning to a target audience