Languages Other than English (LOTE) is an integrated curriculum designed to increase the global competencies of all students while preparing them to compete in a global society. A high quality LOTE curriculum is paired with effective instruction that engages hands, minds and intellect through meaningful, relevant, interactive, and student-centered experiences that support each student in achieving personal success. Reading, writing, listening and speaking in the target language are emphasized, cultivated and assessed through a variety of methods. Through the development of languages other than English, every student will be afforded the opportunity to communicate effectively and acquire information using the target language as a tool to meet future challenges in our multilingual society. We do so, with the beliefs that…
- All students can learn to communicate effectively in a target language and can develop a life-long appreciation for languages and cultures.
- Proficiency is attained through holistic learning.
- Relevance is critical in the language acquisition process.
- Language learning is an active process and students must be active participants.
- Studying a world language develops critical thinking skills.
- The study of a world language will increase global awareness.
- Technology is an integral component of a world language education.
- 21st century students require 21st century tools.
- Language proficiency should begin at an early age.