Mid year 2017
Dear Cottonwood Creek Families,
How fast the year has gone! We are half way through the school year and are already gearing up for a super busy spring!
Our first semester was an exciting one! As we look in the “rearview mirror” we had many opportunities to celebrate our school:
- Our very own, Mr. Bob Monroe, was honored with the Texas Hero for Children Award in Austin. Mr. Bob gives countless hours olunteering at CCE. He is the President of our Posse (Dad’s Club), works at our Salad Bar each week, and is known as “Mr. Fix It” around our school.
- Cottonwood Creek had the largest number of school participants in the Compete Everyday Run for Fighting Autoimmunity and was awarded the Best Participation trophy!
- Our Book Fairs continue to be huge successes! Not only are our learners encouraged to read, read, read…we earned over $4000.00 to be used in our library for more books, visiting authors, and maker space materials for our learners. More information about our next Book Fair will be coming in February.
- The Fun Run was a great experience for everyone! In conjunction with Red Ribbon Week, the Minions of CCE joined in the fun and earned over $19,000 for our school. The funds will be used to build an outdoor learning facility near the garden.
- CCE served as an election site for Coppell on Election Day! Our learners participated by handing out bottles of water as a “thank you” to voters.
- Our Veteran’s Day ceremony and brunch was the best attended yet! We had the privilege of honoring over 50 Veterans and their families.
- During our December Days of Giving, the Colts of Cottonwood collected over 60 boxes of socks, toiletries, healthy snacks, mittens, and gloves for distribution to those in need.
- The Colts traveled to the movies to see “Moana”, as a school-wide field trip. A generous donation by our PTO paid our transportation costs. THANK YOU, PTO!!
- CCE Colt Chorale (our school’s show choir) competed in the Holiday Music Festival at Main Event in Lewisville and scored the highest rating..Superior!
- Walk to School Wednesdays continue to become bigger and better! We appreciate your support of this activity that promotes health and sustainability. Please note that the first and third Wednesdays of each month are designated as Walk to School Wednesdays. However, if it is raining or the temperature (wind chill) is below freezing, we will not walk.
- In January, we announced fourth grade teacher, Carolyn Ratliff, as Cottonwood Creek’s Teacher of the Year! Chosen by her CCE peers, Carolyn has been a part of the Cottonwood Creek family for 12 years. She is an outstanding representative of our staff!
- When you visit the front office at CCE, you will see a new (yet familiar) face! Mrs. Amy Maxey is our new school secretary. Amy had been a valued parent volunteer at CCE for many years, and we are delighted to have her join our office staff!
Stay tuned for more information on the following events coming soon:
Parent/Staff Book Study February
Book Fair February
Genius Hour Parent Visitation March
Public School Open House March
Cottonwood Creek’s 20th Birthday Celebration May 19Plans are being made for a super fun celebration with the learners, families, and staff (both current and former) of CCE! More info will be coming your way.
Our school counselor, Kim Fleischer, moved to a school in Keller which is much closer to her home and is no longer be our CCE Counselor. Kim was an outstanding member of our school family and will be missed. Our plans are to begin interviewing this spring for a new counselor. If your child has school counseling needs, please contact your child’s teacher or me. We will do our best to help.
We are always looking for ways for you to be involved! There are many opportunities for you to volunteer in our school…the library, the Salad Bar, our front office, our Dad’s Club…are just a few. If you are interested in volunteering, please call the front office and let them know! We will get you “plugged in” to a place that is just right for you!
As I walk the hallways and visit in classrooms, I am continually in awe of this AMAZING place for children! We thank you for your continued support and look forward to a fantastic spring!