Highlights of the Dual Credit Program:
- No college tuition for parents
- Students earn high school and college credit simultaneously
New Tech High @ Coppell has partnered with North Lake College (Dallas College) to give students an opportunity to earn college credit while in high school. NTH@C has expanded the dual credit classes available to students by offering over 60 courses such as English, Psychology, U.S. History, Biology, Calculus, Accounting, and more.
Starting the summer after their sophomore year, students who meet the entrance requirements would be eligible for dual enrollment in high school and college. The college credit earned is transferable to most Texas public colleges and universities. To see what credit a Texas university will award go to www.tccns.org to determine what credit a course taken at North Lake will receive at a different Texas public university. While tuition is waived for the Dual Credit Courses listed in the CHS Course Planning Guide, books and other required materials are the learner's responsibility.
This program benefits both students and parents. Students taking dual credit classes could begin taking courses in their major as college freshmen and even complete college in less than four years. Since Dallas County pays the college tuition fees for students enrolled in dual credit classes, parents could save several thousand dollars depending on which college their child attends.
Students interested in the dual-credit program should read through the course catalog for more information.
Every Texas public college and university is required by Texas law to have a core curriculum that, if completed, should transfer and take the place of the core at the receiving institution.
**A learner must earn at least a "C" from North Lake to receive credit at NTH@C**
Process to Take Classes
- Apply to be accepted to North Lake. The information needed to do that is in the link to the right.
- Enroll for classes.
- Fall Semester - Registration for 2019 fall classes starts on April 23 for returning North Lake learners and April 29 for all learners. Counselors will give the enrollment packet to learners that have completed step 1 by the enrollment date. NTH@C Deadline to register for dual credit is May 17, 2019.
- Summer Class – Registration for 2019 summer classes starts April 23 for returning North Lake learners and April 29 for all learners. When you have completed step 1 see your counselor to receive the packet needed to enroll.
Dual Credit Basics
Learners take their class at North Lake during the year two days a week (or online). Summer classes meet Monday through Thursday (or online). To see classes offered go to:
- either future learner menu or current credit learner menu
- find credit classes
**Their fall schedule is typically not posted on-line until the middle of May**
Juniors and Seniors are eligible to take up to two periods of classes at North Lake and have one release period for traveling purposes each day(learners must be at NTH@C the equivalent of at least three consecutive periods each day).
As with any Honors class, Dual Credit courses will earn GPA points on the following scale: A = 5.5, B = 4.9, C = 4.3, D or F = no credit earned