Virtual Academy Overview
Coppell ISD has been working over the last several months to develop a possible Virtual Academy option for our community. As we have shared before, the Texas Education Agency and the State Legislature have not yet granted permission or allocated funding for school districts to offer virtual learning for the 2021-2022 school year. Based on initial interest from our families from the March survey and pending outcomes from the 87th Legislative Session, CISD is developing plans for a potential Virtual Academy choice for students for the 2021-2022 school year.
We are accepting applications for the Virtual Academy, which will serve learners in grades 3-12. The applications will be used to determine the logistical and financial viability of offering a Virtual Academy. Please know that the completion of the application does not guarantee acceptance into the program, and all applications will be considered individually. Enrollment in the Virtual Academy will be based on completion of the application, capacity, the availability of instructional staff and medical needs of the student. Each student’s application will be reviewed individually to ensure this is an appropriate setting for the learner to be successful.
CISD students will receive a communication from CISD with a link to the available application for each current student. Students not currently enrolled in CISD will have an opportunity to apply once enrollment is complete.
The proposed CISD Virtual Academy will:
- Be its own campus with educators will be housed within various currently-existing CISD buildings.
- Be available by application to 3rd-12th grade learners.
- Require learners to participate in state-mandated testing.
- Require a year-long commitment by learners and educators.
- Require learners to actively participate and be on camera during live teaching, testing, tutorials and all other times as directed by the instructor.
- Have limited options for learners to participate in choice programs such as Career and Technical Education, Advanced Placement and certain other elective classes.
- Not allow for learners to participate in athletics or performing arts, including band, choir, dance, theatre, cheer and all sports.
- Require some learning materials to be picked up from CISD facilities as necessary.
- Require learners to be in classes with only virtual learners and educators.
Points to consider before applying for the Virtual Academy
Elementary (Current 2nd-4th graders)
Middle School (Current 5th-7th graders)
High School (Current 8th-11th graders)
Learning Coach Commitment Information
CISD began exploring a Virtual Academy for our students prior to COVID-19, which brought the process to a forefront in our priorities. We believe this possible Virtual Academy will provide many of our families with a desired choice now and into the future. We encourage those interested in applying to review all the information, including the Frequently Asked Questions, before completing the application.