Board Seeks Enrollment Balance
Recent growth in two new subdivisions, Hemingway Court and Grand Estates at North Lake Hills, both located in the northern sector of Valley Ranch, forced the Coppell school district to re-evaluate that attendance zone in anticipation of continued growth in the future. During a recent special work session, the CISD Board of Trustees agreed to make a slight adjustment in the attendance zone in order to give a limited amount of relief to the enrollment at Mockingbird Elementary. Beginning in the 2010-2011 school year:
• All elementary students living in Hemingway Court and Grand Estates at N.L. Hills will attend Austin Elementary instead of Mockingbird Elementary. Currently, a total number of 15 elementary students reside in these two areas. There will be no “grandfathering” and bus transportation will be provided to Austin.
• The students who live in the Mockingbird (MKB) attendance zone (in the Valley Ranch area) but who are currently attending Austin this year, due to overcrowding at MKB, will remain at Austin next year.
• The only exception is one or two students that are currently attending Austin, but actually live near MKB. They will have the option to return to MKB if they wish.
• There is no change in the middle school they will attend…students from both areas will attend Coppell Middle School East.
• This change makes the new enrollment projections: MKB – 544 and Austin- 522.