Coppell ISD Trustees approve 2019-20 Budget and Tax Rate
The Coppell ISD Board of Trustees approved the 2019-20 budget and tax rate for the district during their board meeting Aug. 26. Trustees voted to lower the district’s Maintenance and Operations Tax Rate from $1.17 to $1.0683, which is a reduction of $.1017, and to lower the district’s 2019-20 Interest and Sinking (Debt Service) Tax Rate from $.2905 to $0.2626, which is a reduction of $.0279. CISD’s tax rate for 2019-20 will be a total of $1.3309 per $100 in assessed value, which is an overall tax rate reduction of $.1296 per $100 in assessed value.
CISD’s Chief Financial Officer Diana Sircar shared in her presentation that these rates were lowered due to House Bill 3 passed by the State Legislature in May and signed into law by Gov. Greg Abbott in June.
“We also are able to lower the Interest and Sinking (Debt Service) rate because of the refunding of district bonds in 2018-2019 and increased property values,” Sircar said.
Trustees also approved the 2019-20 CISD Budget of $154.4 M, which is $1.9 M or 1.2 percent less than the previous year, with this decrease due to the following :
- $11 M decrease in recapture (“Robin Hood”);
- $ 7 M increase in instructional support, including employee pay raises and the opening of Canyon Ranch Elementary;
- $1.6 M increase in student support services; and
- $0.5 M increase in non-student support including maintenance and technology.
Expenditures in the 2019-20 Budget are allocated as follows:
- Instruction — 49.1 percent
- Recapture (Robin Hood) – 21.9 percent
- Student Support Services — 10.2 percent
- Non-Student Support Services – 9.78 percent
- Leadership — 5.89 percent
- Administrative — 2.3 percent
- Other — 0.72 percent
The 2019-20 Budget includes the pay raises and benefits increase for teachers and staff approved by the CISD Board of Trustees during its June 24 and July 15 meetings. In summary, the CISD Board has approved the following raises and benefits for the 2019-2020:
- Starting Teacher salary of $54,600;
- A 3 percent increase on the midpoint for all employees, which includes an $1,800 increase for all teachers, nurses and librarians;
- Trustees approved a total of $2,300 for teachers who have completed 6 or more years of service (which is $500 in additional annual compensation for these veteran teachers); and
- The Board also has approved an additional $14 per month health care contribution for all employees, bringing the district’s total contribution for health care to $325 per month.
CISD Board approval of the 2019-20 Budget and Tax Rate occurred after the district’s Public Hearing on the Budget and Proposed Tax Rate held at 5:30 p.m. Aug. 26 prior to the Board Meeting. Four Board Workshops also were held on the budgeting process in May, June, July and early August.
Board of Trustees President Thom Hulme said, “We appreciate the thorough process in preparing and discussing the district budget. It’s been a lot of detailed and hard work, and we look forward to starting on the new budget soon.”
For details on the CISD 2019-20 Budget, including information on the four Board Budget workshops and supporting materials, visit www.coppellisd.com/budget.