Message from the Superintendent: Coronavirus Update 2-28-20
Dear CISD Families,
With the recent media coverage around the Coronavirus, I want to assure you that Coppell ISD continues to monitor the Novel Coronavirus situation and is prepared to address any potential impact to the district and our schools, should it become necessary. We also remain in close and consistent contact with Dallas County Health and Human Services and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) regarding this situation.
We are currently following local health officials’ recommended steps to protect against Coronavirus in the same way we would prevent the spread of other respiratory illnesses, such as the flu. Our teachers, school nurses and staff are working carefully to encourage the simple and effective habits of frequent hand-washing, covering every cough or sneeze and cleaning classroom tables/surfaces frequently. We also encourage our parents and guardians to reinforce this message at home.
I also want to share that our custodial provider, Aramark, is dedicated to keeping our schools clean and our children safe with numerous industry best practices in place for cleaning our schools during flu season.
Additionally, our district health care providers and other staff are using screening tools provided by Dallas County health officials to help identify individuals potentially needing further medical follow up. A protocol is in place that ensures local health officials are engaged in this process.
We are aware of the recent call for schools to be prepared in the event of closures. While we do not anticipate closures of any of our schools at this time, we do have a plan in place to notify parents and the community in the unlikely event this happens. Currently, we are reviewing possible options for alternative instruction in the event of school closures, which again is unlikely at this time.
With our Spring Break (March 9-16) approaching, we are passing along the CDC’s recommendation to avoid nonessential travel to China and South Korea, as well as its advice to postpone or reschedule nonessential travel to Iran, Italy and Japan. Visit www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/index.html for more information about travel.
We want to continually reinforce the importance of every-day good health habits, which include:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Stay home when you are sick. Keeping a sick child at home prevents the spread of illness in the school community and allows the child an opportunity to rest and recover. Please visit www.coppellisd.com/Page/8445 for CISD’s health attendance guidelines.
- Cover your mouth and nose when you cough or sneeze.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
- Do not eat or drink after others.
Here are links to information about the Coronavirus from local, state, national and international health organizations:
- Dallas County Health and Human Services https://www.dallascounty.org/departments/dchhs/2019-novel-coronavirus.php
- Texas Department of State Health Services https://dshs.texas.gov/coronavirus/
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/index.html
- World Health Organization https://www.who.int/health-topics/coronavirus
As this situation evolves, we will provide updates to our community on a regular basis. We want our community to be informed, yet remain calm concerning this issue. As always, I thank you for your support of our district.
Dr. Brad Hunt