Coppell ISD School Closure Update March 18, 2020
March 18, 2020
Dear Coppell ISD Families,
We continue in our commitment to update you frequently during this closure. Once again, we thank our community for their patience, understanding and flexibility during this unprecedented situation.
Here’s a summary of our current situation as of March 18, 2020:
- Visit go.coppellisd.com/SuptUpdateMarch17 for a video message from Superintendent Dr. Brad Hunt. Please make note of the request to practice social distancing and keep students from interacting with each other in person and attending public events.
- All CISD buildings and campuses are closed to the public through April 3. This includes our athletic fields and tracks at our secondary campuses and our playgrounds at our elementary schools. Beyond the date, we don’t know, but we will continue to communicate with you throughout this evolving situation that changes by the hour.
- The district will begin to offer formal, virtual education beginning Monday, March 23. Details about this instruction will come from emails from your child’s teacher(s) in the next few days.
- Governor Greg Abbott has cancelled the state STAAR tests for the remainder of this school year. We are still waiting for direction about other federal testing.
- New registration dates for the Spring Credit by Exam testing will be April 9 to noon on April 22. The testing dates will be June 2 and June 3. Summer Credit by Exam dates remain the same. Visit www.coppellisd.com/Domain/74 for details.
- Our www.coppellisd.com/coronavirus website has resources for parents and guardians, including student activities for this week. We also have created this Parent Frequently Asked Questions document at go.coppellisd.com/ParentCOVID-19FAQ, which may address some of your concerns.
- During the school closure, CISD will continue to provide meals to ALL students under the age of 18 on weekdays from 11 a.m. to noon at designated locations. Students must be present to receive a meal. Please continue to check www.coppellisd.com for updated menus and details.
- Our employees are working remotely during this situation. Email is the best way to reach out to us. We ask that you email your child’s teacher first, then your school administrators. You may also continue to email email@example.com. Due to the volume of emails, responses will be delayed.
- The district is cancelling all events, activities, performances, field trips, etc. through April 3, including the CISD Facilities Committee meeting scheduled on March 26 and Parent University event scheduled on March 28. Additional cancellations can be found on the campus or district’s website.
- Our Board of Trustees election set for May 2, 2020, will be postponed. Additional information will be posted to our website.
- Rising 6th grade registration is postponed by one week. All 5th grade families should have received an email with this information.
- Transfer applications: as our buildings are closed to the public, people cannot drop off transfer applications in person. Transfer applications are available online at www.coppellisd.com/transfer. Please email all documents and the application to firstname.lastname@example.org, or you can mail the documentation and application to Coppell ISD c/s Transfers 200 S. Denton Tap Rd. Coppell, TX 75019. Please know that the deadline is still April 24, and this is not a first come, first served process, as all applications are evaluated equally and not by the order of submission.
- We are extending the elementary Dual Language Immersion (DLI) at Denton Creek and Wilson Elementaries; and the IB at Pinkerton Elementary application window to Monday, March 23 at 4 p.m. Email DLI applications to email@example.com. Email the IB Pinkerton applications to firstname.lastname@example.org. The Lottery date for these programs will be determined upon the district’s return to normal operating procedures.
- We are working to address additional registration and enrollment questions for Kindergarten, Pre-K. Please be patient with us through this process.
- Meanwhile, please consider previously announced enrollment deadlines, aside from transfer applications, to be postponed at this time.
- Continue to check your email, our website and social media for updates. We only will send text messages and phone calls for major updates, alerts or actions required from our community. Our messages to the community also are archived on our website.
We thank our community for your grace and understanding during this time. We remain committed to working together as a team and CISD family as we address this situation.