Coppell ISD School Closure Update March 19, 2020
Dear CISD Families,
Today (March 19, 2020) during a noon press conference, Governor Greg Abbott announced a Public Health Disaster in Texas due to COVID-19, the first of its kind in the state since 1901. As part of the order, he announced that all schools will be closed through April 3 to help prevent the spread of this disease. All school-sponsored events and activities will be canceled during this time period as well.
CISD joins other districts across the state in complying with this declaration and extending our closure through April 3, 2020, which was announced on March 16, 2020. On April 3, 2020, state and health department officials will reassess the situation. The Governor’s announcement included further closures and restrictions statewide, but did not institute a shelter-in-place directive at this time. All critical essential services will continue and domestic travel is still allowed.
We urge our Coppell ISD families to practice social distancing and to do your part to help combat the spread of COVID-19. We will be posting a copy of the Public Health Disaster Declaration directly to www.coppellisd.com/coronavirus.
The University Interscholastic League also notified public schools today that UIL games and contests will resume no earlier than Monday, May 4. Districts will receive further guidance regarding athletic practices and fine arts and band rehearsals, depending on the reopen date for public schools.
We will continue to monitor guidance from the state and will share information with you as it becomes available.
Coppell ISD also wishes to share the following updates with our community:
- We invite our community to join our Facebook Group: Coppell ISD School Closure Updates to receive more frequent updates during our closure. Please also continue to visit www.coppellisd.com/coronavirus for updates, including resources for our parents and guardians.
- Our formal offering of digital learning begins Monday, March 23. Please be patient with us through this process, as we anticipate experiencing technology issues with so many accessing our online resources at the same time. Our employees continue to work tirelessly to ensure this will be a smooth process for our community.
- Please visit www.coppellisd.com to see other events that have been cancelled by the district. Decisions for events beyond the district’s April 3, 2020, closure have yet to be determined. Many of our venues are cancelling our events, and we continue to update our website to keep our community informed.
- Concerning refunds for cancelled events, CISD is currently assessing how to handle the issuance of refunds to parents and guardians. The district is working with vendors and requesting refunds for cancelled events. We will provide more information in the near future on refunds, as this situation develops.
- CISD Elementary families have their final opportunity to pick up their district-issued iPads on Friday, March 20. For middle and high school learners, please reach out to your campus administration if you need to pick up your device from school.
- For those who may need to pick up any additional items, please contact your school’s administration directly to see if arrangements can be made for essential items. Please do not visit one of our schools unless prior arrangements have been made, as we remain closed to the public.
- With DPS offices now closed, and the Verification of Enrollment requirement waived by DPS, CISD will not provide VOE forms at this time.
- CISD is working closely with Northlake Community College regarding revised registration procedures and timelines for summer and fall Dual Credit Courses. When more information is available, it will be shared with families. Additionally, we will address any TSI assessment questions and provide what information we can about the revised assessment procedures and dates.
- Learners who are currently attending Coppell High School, Coppell High School Ninth Grade Campus or New Tech High @ Coppell will receive an email next Wednesday, March 25, with instructions on how to verify their already submitted course selections or request any course changes for the 2020-2021 school year. That verification needs to be completed by the original deadline of April 1, 2020.
- For graduating seniors, the Individual Graduation Committee will replace the STAAR End of Course exams in determining if graduation requirements are met. Additional details will be sent to our seniors in a separate email.
We continue in our commitment to update you frequently during this closure.