CISD Closure Update April 8, 2020
Dear CISD Families,
We want to share with you a midweek district update. As per Texas Governor Greg Abbott’s order, Coppell ISD remains closed until May 4, 2020. You may have heard news reports last week about Dallas County extending its order until the end of May. However, since then, Dallas County has aligned with the Governor’s Office concerning school closure through May 4, 2020. Should there be changes from the State concerning this date, we will let our community know as soon as possible.
We also want to share the following reminders and updates with you:
- Friday, April 10, and Monday, April 13, are regular school/CISD Distance Learning Days. They are no longer a Bad Weather Day or Professional Development Day.
- The CISD held a virtual Board of Trustees Special Meeting on April 6. You can watch the video of the meeting at go.coppellisd.com/BoardMeetingLiveVideo or read the Board Briefs at go.coppellisd.com/BoardBriefs.
- Kindergarten Registration is now underway at go.coppellisd.com/Kindergarten20-21. Please share this information with families who may be new to CISD.
- Current Pre-Kindergarten and Early Childhood Special Education (ECSE) students do not have to register separately for Kindergarten. They will re-enroll for 2020-2021 and attend Kindergarten at their zoned campus for 2020-2021.
- Re-enrollment for current CISD students for the 2020-2021 school year will begin later this month. Be on the lookout for an email on or after April 15, 2020, from PowerSchool to re-enroll current students for 2020-2021.
- CISD is still waiting to hear specific steps from the state for our 2020-2021 Pre-Kindergarten and Early Childhood Special Education (ECSE) students who will be enrolling for 20-21 Since there is a face-to-face testing process as a part of our English Language learner eligibility, we will share as soon as we can a timeline for Pre-K and ESCE registration later this spring.
- Dual Credit Enrollment:
- Learners who indicated on their course enrollment sheets that they would be enrolling in Dual Credit courses for Summer I or Summer II 2020 should have already received an email from their counselors regarding the procedures and deadlines for summer registration. Please note there are two parts to this process: the google form submission is due to counselors by Tuesday, April 14, and the enrollment forms are due to counselors by Friday, April 17.
- Learners who indicated on their course enrollment sheets that they would be enrolling in Dual Credit courses for Fall 2020 will receive an email from their counselors regarding the procedures and deadlines for Fall registration on Monday, May 4. Please note there are two parts to this process: the google form submission will be due to counselors by Friday, May 8, and the enrollment forms will be due to counselors by Wednesday, May 13.
- The latest information CISD has received from Northlake College is they will be waiving the TSIA requirement for enrollment purposes. It is very likely that learners who do not have TSIA scores on file will be required to take the TSIA as soon as normal operations resume. Northlake College will be the sole decision-maker in what steps will be taken should a learner enrolled in a Dual Credit course not meet the passing standard on TSI. Some learners who do not have a TSIA score on file may automatically qualify for a TSIA exemption based on the information at: https://tea.texas.gov/academics/college-career-and-military-prep/the-tsia-texas-success-initiative-assessment.
- Meningitis Vaccination Requirement: Northlake College recognizes that many learners may not be able to access their physicians at this time to receive proof of having received the Meningitis vaccination. For enrollment purposes, that requirement is also being waived, however, learners, whether enrolled in an online or face-to-face course, will have to provide that documentation as soon as possible.
Traditionally, CISD honors our Teachers of the Year and names our Elementary and Secondary District Teachers of the Year in April. We remain committed to recognizing these teachers virtually on our website at www.coppellisd.com. You also can read more about each of these teacher’s commitment to our Core Value of Great Teaching in the Spring 2020 issue of the CISD Our Story magazine at go.coppellisd.com/OurStorySpring2020 on pages 28-29.
Finally, we want to remind you of some of our CISD Family Spirit initiatives this week (on the right).
We also invite children in CISD to share a hobby with our superintendent. Hobbies with Hunt is a NEW virtual video series where students can teach Dr. Brad Hunt all about their hobby. Interested? Visit go.coppellisd.com/HobbieswithHunt.