- Coppell Independent School District
CISD Trustees Approve Moving First Day of School to August 17
July 27, 2020
Dear CISD Families,
We want to share an important Return to School Update with you, which includes action on the Coppell ISD 2020-2021 School Calendar taken by the Board of Trustees tonight (July 27).
- On July 27, the CISD Board of Trustees approved moving the first day of school to Monday, August 17.
- The district will provide distance learning only to all students August 17 through September 7, as per the Dallas County Health and Human Services July 16 public health order.
- CISD continues to actively make preparations to open our schools for in-person learning after September 7, for our families who would like this choice.
- The new school start date of Monday, August 17, allows for three additional professional learning days for CISD educators to prepare for distance and in-person learning for the start of the school year. It also allows CISD additional time to prepare all facilities with important safety supplies and personal protective equipment (PPE). As of this time, CISD has not received our PPE supplies from the Texas Education Agency (TEA).
- CISD is removing the two early dismissal days in the first semester on October 8 and December 18. The district’s previously announced Professional Development/Staff Work Day on October 9 will now be a regular school day. By doing this, the district is able to recover most of the state-required, in-school minutes in the school calendar caused by postponing the first day of school to August 17.
- CISD also has rescheduled its Return to School Facebook Live to Thursday, August 6, at 6:30 p.m.
- CISD also has extended the deadline of its commitment form to choose either in-person or distance learning option to August 12. Again, CISD maintains our commitment to offer in-person learning for our students after September 7, for our families who would like this choice for their children.
- The district is hosting a Board Workshop on Monday, August 3, where Trustees will receive detailed information on the CISD Distance Learning Plan. Trustees must approve or give authority to the Superintendent to approve its distance learning plan, which then goes to the TEA.
CISD encourages our community to review the Draft Return to School Guide and the Frequently Asked Questions at www.coppellisd.com/returntoschool. Questions and feedback also can be sent to email@example.com.