CISD Board Affirms Aug. 17 Start Date, Distance Learning Through Sept. 4
August 4, 2020
Dear Coppell ISD Families,
On August 3, the Coppell ISD Board of Trustees took no action on the school calendar for the 2020-2021 school year. Because of this, Monday, August 17, 2020, remains as the district’s first day of school, and CISD will provide distance learning for all students through September 4. The Texas Education Agency has allowed school districts to begin only online for up to eight weeks of the school year. CISD believes three weeks of distance learning for all students will allow the district to be ready to provide in-person education for those who chose this option on Tuesday, September 8.
As shared during the August 3 Board Workshop, offering distance learning for three weeks also provides CISD additional time to prepare all facilities with important safety supplies and personal protective equipment (PPE) prior to offering in-person learning. As of this time, CISD has partially received its supplies from the Texas Education Agency (TEA). In addition, the district will use this time to train its educators and staff on safety and PPE procedures to help ensure the health and safety of students and employees once in-person learning begins on September 8. In addition, this transition period allows educators and families to acclimate to distance learning in the event schools or the district may be forced to close and only be able to provide distance learning to its students.
CISD has high standards and expectations from our community, and feels it is best for the district to transition to in-person learning in order to continue to provide the exceptional educational experience for which we are known.
We want our entire CISD family to know we have listened to all perspectives and understand that some of our families may not be getting what they want, when they want it. We want to assure our community that we continue to actively make preparations to open our schools for in-person learning on September 8, for our families who would like this choice. We also are committed to providing distance learning for those who choose it for our first grading period.
With school starting in less than two weeks, we hope we can come together as a community to start the school year strong by working collaboratively to do what we do best here in CISD — which is to create profound learning experiences, while nurturing meaningful relationships, to positively impact our world.
We also wanted to share these additional reminders with our district community:
- CISD will host its Return to School Facebook Live Thursday, August 6, at 6:30 p.m. at www.facebook.com/coppellisd.
- CISD has extended the deadline of its commitment form to choose either in-person or distance learning option to August 12.
- The district has updated its Return to School Guide to require face coverings or masks for all students — Pre-K to seniors — who choose in-person learning. All staff and visitors also will be required to wear face coverings.
- Virtual elementary Meet the Teacher Night will occur for all elementary schools on Thursday, August 13, from 6 to 6:30 p.m. Schools will reach out to parents and directly with details.
- Those who ordered school supplies from their school’s PTOs will receive messages from their schools directly about school supplies distribution.
We encourage you to review our Return to School Guide and Return to School Learning Plans at www.coppellisd.com/returntoschool. As a reminder, questions and feedback also can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org