Preparing for the First Day of School Monday, August 17
August 14, 2020
Dear CISD Families,
We are very excited to welcome our students to the first day of school on Monday, August 17! Though we are all beginning the school year with distance learning, we do want to ensure we are recognizing and celebrating the first day of school. So, we have developed some tools to help families capture this moment. Visit go.coppellisd.com/1stWeek20 for some fun and creative opportunities to engage with us this first week of school.
We also want to share resources with our parents and guardians to help prepare for a successful start of school. If you visit www.coppellisd.com/distancelearningresources, you will find digital learning resources for families, including videos on Schoology. Our parents page of our website at www.coppellisd.com/parents also has resources to help with technology and other items.
As all of our students begin distance learning using Schoology on Monday, we do anticipate there may be some hiccups and issues that will occur. We do ask for your patience and grace, as we work together for a successful first few days of school. Our response as parents will set the tone for our children. Encountering these obstacles is an opportunity to model problem solving skills and resilience, which can go a long way to ensuring a successful school year.
Our teachers and administrators have been creative and innovative in how they are preparing to welcome students back to school, as seen in our Elementary Meet the Teacher Nights yesterday. At CISD, we spend the first few days of school focusing on authentic relationships, because when we invest in each other, we learn and flourish. We want to share a story that aired on NBC 5 on August 13 that exemplifies this core value, as one of our elementary schools, Wilson Elementary, worked to help our teachers prepare for the first day of school — go.coppellisd.com/WilsonNBCAug13.
We also want to share these updates with you to help you prepare for the first few days of school:
- CISD Technology is asking families to test their district issued devices to ensure they are working prior to the first day of school Aug. 17. For those who have issues with their devices, please submit a Help Desk ticket at www.coppellisd.com/helpdesk or call 214-496-6972. Visit go.coppellisd.com/technologytest for more information.
- Attendance for distance learning will use U.S. Central Time Zone and will be tracked daily based on:
- Data from Learning Management System (Schoology) showing progress made that day.
- Curricular progress evidenced from educator/learner interactions made that day.
- Completion and submission of assignments planned for that dayAttendance will be counted on the following day.
- For example, learning that occurs between 12:01 a.m. and 11:59 p.m., U.S. Central Time Zone, on Aug. 19, will be counted on Aug. 20. Visit www.coppellisd.com/learningplans for details.
We encourage you to visit www.coppellisd.com/returntoschool for additional resources. We also look forward to welcoming students back in person on September 8, for those families who chose this option. Please continue to check the CISD website for additional information as well as communication from your child’s campus.
We are looking forward to a wonderful 2020-2021 school year!