- Coppell Independent School District
Board Approves CISD Budget, Tax Rate Vote September 14
CISD Trustees approved the 2020-2021 budget during their board meeting Aug. 24. Trustees will vote to adopt the district's 2020-2021 tax rate at its Sept. 14 Board Workshop, because of the recent release of final certified tax values from the Dallas Central Appraisal District.
According to CISD Chief Financial Officer Diana Sircar, the district has filed an appeal with the Texas Education Agency to lower the Maximum Compressed Rate based upon these recently released certified property values. The Maximum Compressed Rate determines the CISD Maintenance and Operations tax rate. The Interest and Sinking (Debt Service) tax rate also will be recalculated based upon released certified values.
Sircar said, both tax rates are expected to be lower than what was presented at the CISD Budget and Tax Rate Hearing Aug. 24. During the hearing, Sircar shared a proposed Maintenance and Operations Tax Rate of $1.0547, which is a reduction of $0.0136, and an Interest and Sinking (Debt Service) Tax Rate of $0.269, which is an increase of $.0064. The CISD proposed tax rate from the Aug. 24 Budget Hearing is a total of $1.3237 per $100 in assessed value, which is an overall tax rate reduction of $.0072 per $100 in assessed value.
The approved 2020-2021 CISD Budget of $161.5 M, which is a $7 M or 4.6 percent increase over last year’s budget, due to the following :
- $5.2 M increase in instruction expenditures;
- $500K increase in security expenditures;
- $1.3 M increase in all other (student support services, leadership, administration, maintenance, etc.);
- A 2 percent increase in compensation, which is approximately $2 M, as approved by the Board in June; and
- $1.3 M increase in Teacher Retirement System (TRS) On-Behalf expenditures, for which there is an offsetting revenue.
Expenditures in the 2020-2021 Budget are allocated as follows:
- Instruction — 50.23 percent
- Recapture (Robin Hood) – 20.99 percent
- Student Support Services — 9.88 percent
- Non-Student Support Services – 10.05 percent
- Leadership — 5.8 percent
- Administrative — 2.43 percent
- Other — 0.61 percent
CISD Board approval of the 2020-2021 occurred after the district’s Public Hearing on the Budget and Proposed Tax Rate held at 5:30 p.m. Aug. 24, prior to the Board Meeting. Three Board Workshops also were held on the budgeting process in May, June and early August.
For details on the CISD 2020-2021 Budget, including information on the three Board Budget workshops and supporting materials, visit www.coppellisd.com/budget.