CISD Opening for In Person and Virtual Learning Feb. 22, Lee Elementary to be Virtual
Dear CISD Families,
As temperatures begin to rise and the sun comes out, it has become the light at the end of the tunnel and for that I am truly grateful. Our amazing Facilities and Operations team members continue to assess, evaluate and restore our campuses and buildings to get them operational for our students and staff. I thank them and the entire team for keeping operations running during a very stressful week.
Coppell ISD will be open for in person and virtual learning on Monday, February 22, aside from Richard J. Lee Elementary. Due to winter weather damage to Lee Elementary, the school will be virtual learning only Monday through Friday, February 22 to February 26. Lee families will receive a separate email with specific instructions for that school. I thank Mrs. Kastrounis and the entire Lee staff for their flexibility and “can do” spirit during this unprecedented time.
There was minimal damage to a few of our campuses due to the winter weather. We had eleven campuses and facilities that were affected by last week’s weather conditions. Our Facilities and Maintenance staff worked around the clock all week to address weather related issues in our facilities and mitigate the damages. Thanks to their efforts and our custodial partners, Aramark, we are able to open school on Monday, with the exception of Richard J. Lee Elementary, which will be virtual for the first week and then will move temporarily to Valley Ranch Elementary, which will be able to accommodate the additional students and staff. We hope to have the Lee Elementary campus operational when we return from Spring Break, if not sooner. Again, specific information and additional instructions are being shared with the families and staff of both Lee and Valley Ranch Elementary Schools.
We understand that many of our students and their families, as well as our employees, are experiencing damage to their homes, and also issues accessing the internet, which may impact engaging in learning starting Monday. Please reach out to your child’s teacher as you are able, if this is the case. We do have some options to work with families who might need additional support and will be flexible as we work through these challenges.
We also want to share these additional updates with you:
- CISD is applying for a waiver from the Texas Education Agency (TEA) for being closed due to winter weather, so the district will not have to adjust the calendar or extend the school year. Our plan is to begin this process by bringing this waiver to the CISD School Board at the February 25 meeting. School districts across the state have been impacted by the winter storm; therefore, we do not anticipate any issues with TEA approving the waivers.
- CISD Child Nutrition will provide free meals to all virtual learners Monday-Wednesday, February 22-24. A free breakfast and lunch meal can be picked up by driving through your closest Elementary School Cafeteria Loop* between 10 and 11 a.m. each day. As you drive through the cafeteria loop, someone will be watching to bring food out. Vegetarian and non-vegetarian options will be available. *Lee Elementary will not be open for virtual meal pick up. These learners can go to another nearby elementary, such as Canyon Ranch or Valley Ranch, to pick up a meal.
- Bundle Meal Pick-up will resume on Wednesday, February 24, from 4 to 6 p.m. at Austin Elementary. Bundle meals include 14 meals total (7 breakfasts and 7 lunches) with 1 gallon of milk. Pre-order is required for bundle meals for planning purposes. Sign up by noon on Tuesday by visiting go.coppellisd.com/CurbsideOrderForm.
- The CISD Board of Trustees February 22 meeting has been rescheduled to Thursday, February 25 at 6 p.m.
- The 9th grade course registration deadline has been extended to Thursday, February 25.
- We are working to reschedule the choice elementary school Dual Language Immersion (DLI) meeting, as well as the New Tech High @ Coppell information meetings, scheduled for this week. We will share information as these are rescheduled.
- Any campus specific events that are rescheduled will be communicated by the principal.
I want you to know that the safety of our students and staff is always our top priority, and we are committed to keeping you informed. Again our plan, as of today, is to open on Monday, February 22 for in person and remote learning for all campuses with the exception of Richard J. Lee Elementary. Our Maintenance and Facilities staff are working all weekend to continue to assess our buildings for additional trouble spots that might arise due to these first few days above freezing in quite some time. Please continue to check the CISD website at www.coppellisd.com for updates on events and additional information.
Thank you for your understanding, patience and support during yet another difficult time. I am continually amazed by the perseverance and camaraderie of this wonderful community. We are truly CISD Strong Together!
Dr. Brad Hunt