CISD Board Approves Boundary Realignment
The Coppell ISD Board of Trustees approved new elementary and middle school attendance boundaries for the district during its meeting Feb. 25, 2019. The new boundaries were adopted in preparation for the opening of CISD’s 11th elementary school, Canyon Ranch Elementary, in Irving (Valley Ranch) in August 2019, as well to optimize student capacity at facilities while accommodating student growth in the southern portion of the district.
The approved boundaries, as recommended by the administration, change the district’s elementary schools by:
- Moving Parkside West from Richard J. Lee Elementary to Canyon Ranch Elementary;
- Moving Parkside East from Pinkerton Elementary to Canyon Ranch Elementary;
- Moving the Parkside East and West students’ overflow from Lakeside Elementary to Canyon Ranch Elementary;
- Moving the Summit apartments (northern Valley Ranch) from Austin Elementary to Valley Ranch Elementary;
- Moving Belmont Landing (northern portion of Valley Ranch) from Austin to Mockingbird;
- Moving Casa Valley Ranch apartments from Valley Ranch Elementary to Canyon Ranch Elementary;
- Moving portions of the western and southern Valley Ranch Elementary attendance zone to Canyon Ranch Elementary; and
- Moving the Westhaven Phase 2 subdivision and the Eastlake subdivision from Town Center Elementary to Denton Creek Elementary.
For middle school, the new boundaries align with the approved elementary school plan and follow these feeder patterns:
- Austin Elementary, Lakeside Elementary, Mockingbird Elementary and Pinkerton Elementary to Coppell Middle School East;
- Cottonwood Creek Elementary, Denton Creek Elementary, *Town Center Elementary and Wilson Elementary to Coppell Middle School North; and
- Canyon Ranch Elementary, Lee Elementary and Valley Ranch Elementary to Coppell Middle School West.
*Students from the Townlake Apartment Complex at 215 N. Moore Road will attend Town Center Elementary and feed into Coppell Middle School East.
Board approval of the 2019-2020 attendance zones also included the “grandfathering” of current (2018-19) fourth and seventh graders to finish their fifth grade and eighth grade years, respectively, at their current school for the 2019-2020 school year, if they choose. Siblings of these students also would be allowed to remain at the current campus for one year only. Transfer forms must be completed for all “grandfathered” students and siblings. CISD will not provide transportation for students who transfer campuses, including those who transfer as “grandfathered” students. There also will not be a “pay-to-ride” bus option for either “grandfathered” or transfer students. CISD will accept these transfer requests from March 4 to March 29, 2019 at 4:30 p.m.. Details on the process can be found at www.coppellisd.com/transfer.
Working closely with the district’s demographers, Templeton Demographics, the CISD administration and Board of Trustees began its Boundary Realignment efforts in May 2018. The district sought community input via a questionnaire available September and October 2018, which was presented to the Board during its Oct, 16, 2018 Board Workshop. Boundary Realignment Board Workshops were held Oct. 16, 2018; Nov. 12, 2018; Dec. 10, 2018; Jan. 22, 2019; and Feb. 12, 2019. These workshops were broadcast live and archived for later viewing by the public. A Boundary Realignment Community Forum was held Jan. 9, 2019, and a Boundary Realignment Facebook Live was held Jan. 16, 2019. The community also was able to provide feedback via firstname.lastname@example.org, which was shared with CISD administration and the CISD Board of Trustees throughout the process.
Details on the Boundary Realignment process, including updated attendance zone maps, transfer information and more, can be found at www.coppellisd.com/realignment.