Letter from Principal Regarding Gas Smell in School
Dear CMS North Families,
At approximately 12:39 p.m. this afternoon (Dec. 5, 2019), a Coppell Middle School North staff member smelled natural gas inside our building and notified school administration. We immediately evacuated our building and called the Coppell Fire Department. The Coppell Fire Department responded quickly, as did our Coppell ISD Facilities and Maintenance staff, who immediately turned off the gas. The Coppell Fire Department and our CISD Facilities and Maintenance staff determined that there was no gas leak in our building. Rather, a valve in one of our science labs was pushed to the open position accidentally, which caused the smell. Our students and staff were able to return to the building at about 12:50 p.m.
I want to take this opportunity to praise our students and staff for their response to this situation. We were able to evacuate our building in two minutes. Everyone remained calm and followed our emergency procedures, as we often drill here at North.
Our students and staff did wonderful today. The Coppell Fire Department responded in less than two minutes, as well as did our district Safety and Security Coordinator and district facilities and maintenance staff. I truly appreciate our students and staff for their response to this situation. The safety and wellbeing of our students and staff is our top priority, and they exemplified the best of our school spirit in their reaction to today's this event.
Dr. Greg Axelson